View Poll Results: How many foreign languages do you speak/read?
I speak no other language except my native language 19 25.00%
I speak/read one foreign language 23 30.26%
I speak/read two foreign languages 18 23.68%
I speak/read three or more foreign languages 19 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

by tehno
Tags: foreign, languages, speak or read
Share this thread:
tehno
Jan29-07, 12:11 PM
P: 363
I'm pretty fluent in English and German.My Russian needs a significant improvement,however.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
jtbell
Jan29-07, 12:28 PM
Mentor
P: 11,738
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.
BobG
Jan29-07, 12:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
My native language is English.

I have the literacy of a two-year-old in about three others.

Kurdt
Jan29-07, 12:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

English is my native language but I speak German and am fairly competant at French.
radou
Jan29-07, 12:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
My native language is Croatian. It's obvious what's the first non-native language I speak, und hier ist auch die zweite solche Sprache.

(...et mon Francais est terrible. )
brewnog
Jan29-07, 12:41 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Fluent in English English, can read French, and can speak 'holiday French'. And I can say "cheers" in Finnish!
BobG
Jan29-07, 12:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by brewnog View Post
Fluent in English English, .....
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.
tehno
Jan29-07, 12:52 PM
P: 363
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.
Croatian is my native language.
Anttech
Jan29-07, 01:13 PM
P: 1,401
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.
Finnish? Have you tried Hungarian also? The ugric language group is fascinating as it sounds NOTHING like any other European language
Quaoar
Jan29-07, 01:19 PM
P: 179
It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D
Kurdt
Jan29-07, 01:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
Quote Quote by Quaoar View Post
It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D
Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?
radou
Jan29-07, 01:34 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by tehno View Post
Croatian is my native language.
Pozdrav, zemljache!

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.
Quaoar
Jan29-07, 01:46 PM
P: 179
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?
Good surprise

Quote Quote by radou View Post
Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.
I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan29-07, 01:53 PM
P: 2,179
My native language is English. I am fluent and literate in Japanese. When I was young I was fluent and literate in Hebrew, but I have forgotten it, so I only gave myself credit for one foreign language. My wife's native language is Chinese. She also speaks Taiwanese and Japanese. She had a hard time when she came to the US as we could only find schools that teach English as a second language.
radou
Jan29-07, 01:58 PM
HW Helper
Good surprise

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

You're right, but I was actually referring to 'well-educated' people in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean).
brewnog
Jan29-07, 01:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.
To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.
Anttech
Jan29-07, 01:59 PM
P: 1,401
I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general.
I think you would be surprised, in Europe at least the only mono-linguals are typically Francophones and Anglophones. The rest of Europe speaks at least 2 langauges, typically.
Ivan Seeking
Jan29-07, 02:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
American English, with a year of German in college, many hispanic friends as a kid thus a fair amount of Spanish back then, a bit of Russian, enough French to order coffee in Paris, and Pig Latin, which Tsu and I use to keep the cats in the dark.

Register to reply