View Poll Results: How many foreign languages do you speak/read?
I speak no other language except my native language 19 25.00%
I speak/read one foreign language 23 30.26%
I speak/read two foreign languages 18 23.68%
I speak/read three or more foreign languages 19 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

by tehno
Tags: foreign, languages, speak or read
Share this thread:
tehno
Jan29-07, 12:11 PM
P: 363
I'm pretty fluent in English and German.My Russian needs a significant improvement,however.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
jtbell
Jan29-07, 12:28 PM
Mentor
P: 11,781
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.
BobG
Jan29-07, 12:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
My native language is English.

I have the literacy of a two-year-old in about three others.

Kurdt
Jan29-07, 12:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

English is my native language but I speak German and am fairly competant at French.
radou
Jan29-07, 12:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
My native language is Croatian. It's obvious what's the first non-native language I speak, und hier ist auch die zweite solche Sprache.

(...et mon Francais est terrible. )
brewnog
Jan29-07, 12:41 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Fluent in English English, can read French, and can speak 'holiday French'. And I can say "cheers" in Finnish!
BobG
Jan29-07, 12:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Quote Quote by brewnog View Post
Fluent in English English, .....
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.
tehno
Jan29-07, 12:52 PM
P: 363
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.
Croatian is my native language.
Anttech
Jan29-07, 01:13 PM
P: 1,401
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.
Finnish? Have you tried Hungarian also? The ugric language group is fascinating as it sounds NOTHING like any other European language
Quaoar
Jan29-07, 01:19 PM
P: 179
It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D
Kurdt
Jan29-07, 01:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
Quote Quote by Quaoar View Post
It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D
Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?
radou
Jan29-07, 01:34 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by tehno View Post
Croatian is my native language.
Pozdrav, zemljache!

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.
Quaoar
Jan29-07, 01:46 PM
P: 179
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?
Good surprise

Quote Quote by radou View Post
Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.
I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan29-07, 01:53 PM
P: 2,179
My native language is English. I am fluent and literate in Japanese. When I was young I was fluent and literate in Hebrew, but I have forgotten it, so I only gave myself credit for one foreign language. My wife's native language is Chinese. She also speaks Taiwanese and Japanese. She had a hard time when she came to the US as we could only find schools that teach English as a second language.
radou
Jan29-07, 01:58 PM
HW Helper
Good surprise

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

You're right, but I was actually referring to 'well-educated' people in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean).
brewnog
Jan29-07, 01:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.
To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.
Anttech
Jan29-07, 01:59 PM
P: 1,401
I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general.
I think you would be surprised, in Europe at least the only mono-linguals are typically Francophones and Anglophones. The rest of Europe speaks at least 2 langauges, typically.
Ivan Seeking
Jan29-07, 02:01 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
American English, with a year of German in college, many hispanic friends as a kid thus a fair amount of Spanish back then, a bit of Russian, enough French to order coffee in Paris, and Pig Latin, which Tsu and I use to keep the cats in the dark.

Register to reply