Register to reply

Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby (6/2-6/09)

by Evo
Tags: baby, contest, or 09, photo
Share this thread:
Evo
Jun2-07, 04:55 PM
Mentor
P: 26,444
Ooh, baby, baby!!

Spring has sprung and baby animals are everywhere!! This week's contest is - Baby Animals. Your picture must have, as it's main subject - baby animals, not humans.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
Giant crater in Russia's far north sparks mystery
NASA Mars spacecraft prepare for close comet flyby
chroot
Jun2-07, 05:15 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Is it okay if they're not wild baby animals?

- Warren
Moonbear
Jun2-07, 05:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Woo hoo! I definitely have a picture for this one. I went out this spring and got some pictures of the little lambs. Now, as soon as I can get imageshack to upload the dang photo. (Is it just me, or is that site getting really slow lately?)

Here we go!

The ones with speckled faces are always my favorites.

(Ooh, Chroot's baby guinea pig is so cute too! Awwwwww.)

Evo
Jun2-07, 05:28 PM
Mentor
Pf Photo Contest - Ooh, baby, baby (6/2-6/09)

Quote Quote by chroot View Post
Is it okay if they're not wild baby animals?

- Warren
Awwww, so cute!!!! Yes, any baby animal will do.

I see with Moonbear's entry there is going to be a very high cuteness factor in the contest.
Moonbear
Jun2-07, 05:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I see with Moonbear's entry there is going to be a very high cuteness factor in the contest.
Did you expect anything else when the theme is baby animals?
moe darklight
Jun2-07, 05:39 PM
P: 411
awww is that a guinea pig? I love guinea pigs! most underrated pet ever. I miss my Pepe .

this is my cat Alfred when we got it 3 months ago, his tongue is sticking out

chroot
Jun2-07, 06:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Quote Quote by moe darklight View Post
awww is that a guinea pig? I love guinea pigs! most underrated pet ever. I miss my Pepe
Totally! I used to think guinea pigs were just big hamsters, but they're so interactive and so expressive (they make ten or twelve distinct sounds, all cute of course) that I'm totally in love with them. They're probably more similar to cats than to hamsters, in terms of behavior.

That little guy is Biscotti, when he was about two months old. I'm sorry to hear about your Pepe, too... but your kitty looks adorable!

- Warren
moe darklight
Jun2-07, 07:19 PM
P: 411
haha yours looks like it found paradise with all the food in front of him. Yea, guinea pigs know what's going on; mine would always hide in its little cave when someone who wasn't me or my parents visited.
Moonbear
Jun2-07, 10:03 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by moe darklight View Post
haha yours looks like it found paradise with all the food in front of him.
I was noticing the giant salad bar too. I think that guinea pig is getting fed better than I am!

Oh, and I totally agree, guinea pigs are fantastic, interactive pets! I had them as a kid...my first experiments in breeding animals were with guinea pigs (my mom might have prevented that had she taken time to explain to a 5 year old that the boy and girl guinea pig weren't just playing when I put them in the same cage ). We started with two, and then went up to 5, gave away one because he didn't get along with his brother and was just generally mean, so finally wound up with 4. We had Muppet and Moppet (long-haired guinea pig that looked like a big mop to me) who were later Mama and Papa, both of which were black and white, then Ding (an orange and black female), Spooky (all black with a white spot on his nose), and Cocoa (the one we gave away...he was solid brown...incidentally, I wanted to name him Dong so I could have Ding and Dong, but for some reason, mom wouldn't let me ). Spooky was everyone's favorite because he was just the most loveable of the bunch, but they each had their own personalities. I'm not sure a guinea pig and a cat would do well together though. Otherwise, it would be fun to have a guinea pig again.
Mk
Jun2-07, 10:52 PM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Spooky
I had a fish named Spooky
Janus
Jun3-07, 09:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,361
This is a really old photo (30+ yrs). These are some of the 14 pup litter our Irish Setter had. The photo was taken with a 110 Instamatic and printed on a satin finish paper, so I'm afraid that the quality is not that great.

Evo
Jun4-07, 09:36 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by NeoDevin View Post
That's not fair, What if I put up one of him wearing some sort of animal suit?

Would that work?
Ok, enough joking. You've got really cute pictures of him in your thread.
NeoDevin
Jun4-07, 10:05 AM
P: 687
My wife yelled at me for posting him in the baby animals thread
ZapperZ
Jun4-07, 10:25 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by NeoDevin View Post
My wife yelled at me for posting him in the baby animals thread
You're lucky that's all she did. If I were her, I would have clobbered you instead. And no jury would convict me of spousal abuse after I tell them why.

Zz.
ZapperZ
Jun4-07, 07:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
My baby can crush your baby!

Zz.
turbo
Jun4-07, 07:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
You're lucky that's all she did. If I were her, I would have clobbered you instead. And no jury would convict me of spousal abuse after I tell them why.

Zz.
What a terrible insult to the baby animals. Just because they may be specialized to catching insects, eating earthworms, or nibbling on greenery does not make them less deserving of life than the offspring of those of us who prize our intellect. I am a human and I love my human family and my human friends, but I value our animal friends very highly. I have told my wife many times that if our state ever allows public disposals of bodies, she has (or our friends) have to drag my bones out into the woods so that the wild animals can eat me. I have eaten them all my life, and they deserve the pay-back.
ZapperZ
Jun4-07, 08:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Oy vey! That was a JOKE!

Zz.
turbo
Jun4-07, 08:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Sorry, but the part about disposing my body in the wild is heart-attack certain. No joke. We owe a debt to the creatures that sustain us. I have a hard time justifying the feed-lot treatment of the animals that are processed to feed us.

Register to reply