What are you reading?

by G01
Tags: reading
Share this thread:
G01
Jun26-07, 11:27 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
So, what's everybody currently reading, textbooks excluded?

Currently I'm working on The Count of Monte Cristo.
After this I want to start Don Quioxte.

Both of these books, I've been wanting to read for a long time. I'm glad I'm finally getting to them. The new Michael Crighton book is on my list as well.
So what are you guys reading?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
ice109
Jun26-07, 11:31 PM
P: 1,705
i read don qioxote, i didn't like it very much.

in my stack right now are plato's dialogues, beginning culture theory, futureshock and count of monte cristo. i'm half way done with plato, 1/10th into future shock and none way into the others.

if classic lit is your thing read david copperfield by dickens and crime and punishment by dostoyevsky
Cyrus
Jun26-07, 11:33 PM
P: 4,780
Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler.

Inbetween these great texts, Aerodynamics. (But I just read this for the pictures).

I dont read outside of text books. I just watch movies instead.

G01
Jun26-07, 11:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
What are you reading?

Quote Quote by ice109 View Post
i read don qioxote, i didn't like it very much.

in my stack right now are plato's dialogues, beginning culture theory, futureshock and count of monte cristo. i'm half way done with plato, 1/10th into future shock and none way into the others.

if classic lit is your thing read david copperfield by dickens and crime and punishment by dostoyevsky
I would like to read another Dicken's novel. I was thinking about "Nicholas Nickleby." Did you read this? If so would you recommend "Copperfield" over it?
Smurf
Jun26-07, 11:45 PM
P: 2,891
"The Rebel Sell" by Joseph Heath & Andrew Potter is my main read right now, I've also got John Rawls "Lectures on the History of Moral Philosophy" and "Sixty Million Frenchmen can't be wrong" on the table. That last one isn't by Rawls, it's by two virtually unknown Canadian authors.

After The Rebel Sell I'll probably have to read something else in the genre, it's really sucking me in. I'm thinking maybe something by Thomas Frank, or Thorstein Veblen, if I can find it.
Smurf
Jun26-07, 11:47 PM
P: 2,891
I always thought The Brothers Karamazov was so much better than Crime and Punishment. And of course, Notes from Underground is my all time favorite Dostoevsky.
MeJennifer
Jun26-07, 11:54 PM
P: 2,043
Rereading Burton Mack, The Christian Myth: Origins, Logic, and Legacy.
Integral
Jun26-07, 11:59 PM
Mentor
P: 7,314
I am working on the third book (volume 5) of Isacc Azimov's The Golden Years of Science Fiction: Third Series" . title list is the second book on that page.

I started Don Quioxte But did not finish it. Not sure why, generally once I start a book I finish it come hell or high water. Don't recall why I did not continue.
ice109
Jun27-07, 12:21 AM
P: 1,705
Quote Quote by Smurf View Post
I always thought The Brothers Karamazov was so much better than Crime and Punishment. And of course, Notes from Underground is my all time favorite Dostoevsky.
haven't read brothers yet and notes was good but i definitely like characters more than straight rambling.
Quote Quote by G01 View Post
I would like to read another Dicken's novel. I was thinking about "Nicholas Nickleby." Did you read this? If so would you recommend "Copperfield" over it?
haven't read yet but copperfield was definitely really good.
Quote Quote by Integral View Post
I am working on the third book (volume 5) of Isacc Azimov's The Golden Years of Science Fiction: Third Series" . title list is the second book on that page.

I started Don Quioxte But did not finish it. Not sure why, generally once I start a book I finish it come hell or high water. Don't recall why I did not continue.
maybe because it's very boring?
Integral
Jun27-07, 12:29 AM
Mentor
P: 7,314

maybe because it's very boring?
That didn't stop me reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series!
cipher_42
Jun27-07, 12:39 AM
P: 14
Quote Quote by Integral View Post
Amen to that! I'm currently reading Crossroads at Twilight, which is #10 in the Wheel of Time series.

Next on the list is Crime and Punishment; I bought a copy a year ago and it's time to finally get to it (don't worry though, I read The Brothers Karamasov last year).

And I own a copy of Don Quixote in Spanish from a visit to Guanajuato, Mexico which happens to be the Miguel Cervantes capital of the world (I know he was from Spain, but this city has a huge Cervantes festival every year). However, my Spanish skills are so far gone from then, that it will probably never make it off the shelf.
mattmns
Jun27-07, 12:43 AM
P: 1,123
I am with Cyrus, I rarely read outside of textbooks. I want to say more, but I can't quite find the right word...
siddharth
Jun27-07, 12:57 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
I'm currently reading Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett.

On the textbook side, I'm reading Linear Algebra by Hoffman & Kunze
rcgldr
Jun27-07, 01:09 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,032
This thread.

Previously, my reading included such heavy titles as the game guide for Tomb Raider Anniversary edition.
Moridin
Jun27-07, 01:53 AM
P: 858
I like that series. Can't wait for the last part and the 2 prequels

I'm currently actively reading Betrayal of Trust - The Collapse of Global Public Health by Laurie Garrett and inactively reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics: Volume I by Richard Feynman.

Once I finish one of them, I'm going to start reading the Demon-Haunted World - Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan.

What strikes me is that I have completely stopped reading fiction (besides Wheel of Time) and only read nonfiction.

Also, Wheel of Time

Ok, I've abused the emotions enough for today
neutrino
Jun27-07, 02:05 AM
P: 2,047
Empire of the Stars - Arthur I. Miller

I rarely read fiction. But I've been meaning to continue reading Sherlock Holmes...two novels and a bunch of short stories left. I stopped at end The Adventure of the Final Problem.
arunbg
Jun27-07, 04:44 AM
P: 601
Just finished reading Robert Ludlum's "The Hades Factor", boy that man sure knows how to keep one from going to bed.
Right now I have started reading a collection of Leo Tolstoy's famous short stories, and I must say they are quite thought provoking.
Kurdt
Jun27-07, 06:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,982
I'm reading "Vermeer's Camera" as me and my friend are going to re-create his painting style. Like cyrus however I read little outside of textbooks.

Register to reply