Register to reply

Tutoring job...

by relskid
Tags: tutoring
Share this thread:
relskid
Jul15-07, 07:22 PM
P: 41
as a disclaimer, i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting this...

i will be tutoring a kid (13 years old) in algebra soon, and i was wondering if there were any games or techniques that i can use with my student that have shown to work in the past with you, or others you know.

i haven't worked with him yet, so i don't know exactly what his learning style is right now, but if anyone has any general pointers or tips for me, i would be very grateful.

my main goals are for him to have a healthy understanding of math and have fun learning (or at least not dread) it.

--hannah
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Feldoh
Jul16-07, 09:26 PM
P: 1,345
Quote Quote by relskid View Post
as a disclaimer, i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting this...

i will be tutoring a kid (13 years old) in algebra soon, and i was wondering if there were any games or techniques that i can use with my student that have shown to work in the past with you, or others you know.

i haven't worked with him yet, so i don't know exactly what his learning style is right now, but if anyone has any general pointers or tips for me, i would be very grateful.

my main goals are for him to have a healthy understanding of math and have fun learning (or at least not dread) it.

--hannah
For me I remember in the beginning I hated math it was pitifully boring. But over time I sort of got over that once I started thinking about it in this way: A math problem is just a puzzle waiting to be solved, and at that point I became interested in it. Anything that has to do with problem solving can help. At a basic level like algebra you might want to consider telling him about something like Sudoku gamewise -- Honestly I think it really does help with learning basic problem solving skills even if it does sound stupid. Just my two cents.

Register to reply