tutoring job...

by relskid
Tags: tutoring
relskid
Jul15-07, 07:22 PM
P: 41
as a disclaimer, i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting this...

i will be tutoring a kid (13 years old) in algebra soon, and i was wondering if there were any games or techniques that i can use with my student that have shown to work in the past with you, or others you know.

i haven't worked with him yet, so i don't know exactly what his learning style is right now, but if anyone has any general pointers or tips for me, i would be very grateful.

my main goals are for him to have a healthy understanding of math and have fun learning (or at least not dread) it.

--hannah
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Feldoh
Jul16-07, 09:26 PM
P: 1,345
Quote Quote by relskid View Post
as a disclaimer, i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting this...

i will be tutoring a kid (13 years old) in algebra soon, and i was wondering if there were any games or techniques that i can use with my student that have shown to work in the past with you, or others you know.

i haven't worked with him yet, so i don't know exactly what his learning style is right now, but if anyone has any general pointers or tips for me, i would be very grateful.

my main goals are for him to have a healthy understanding of math and have fun learning (or at least not dread) it.

--hannah
For me I remember in the beginning I hated math it was pitifully boring. But over time I sort of got over that once I started thinking about it in this way: A math problem is just a puzzle waiting to be solved, and at that point I became interested in it. Anything that has to do with problem solving can help. At a basic level like algebra you might want to consider telling him about something like Sudoku gamewise -- Honestly I think it really does help with learning basic problem solving skills even if it does sound stupid. Just my two cents.

Register to reply