Register to reply

Outer differentiation?

by Creator
Tags: differentiation, outer
Share this thread:
Creator
Feb19-04, 10:08 AM
P: 555
Since I didn't get a response on the "Diff. Eqns." thread, I put it here.

Can someone give me a clear explaination of what is meant by "outer" differentiation.

As for example, when we differentiate the vector potential, dA/dx, in order to arrive at the magnetic field, B, why would this be called an 'outer' differentiation??

[?]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
turin
Feb19-04, 10:03 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
Originally posted by Creator
... when we differentiate the vector potential, dA/dx, in order to arrive at the magnetic field, B, why would this be called an 'outer' differentiation??
Probably because d/dx is not exactly what you do. You take the cross product of the gradient operator with the vector potential to get the magnetic field. The cross product is sometimes called/related to the outer product, but that's tensor jargon with which I am unfamiliar.
Creator
Feb20-04, 10:07 AM
P: 555
Thanks for the response, Turin;

and thanks for the correction. Oc course, you are accurate in saying it is the cross product of the gradient.
I guess then if someone says "dA/dt is the outer differentiation" I should interpret that to mean they are simply referring to it as being a cross product.??

turin
Feb20-04, 11:07 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
Outer differentiation?

Originally posted by Creator
... if someone says "dA/dt is the outer differentiation" I should interpret that to mean they are simply referring to it as being a cross product.??
I would ask them what they mean. I wouldn't know how to make sense of that.

Register to reply