Limits question L'Hopitals rule

• Thread starter Sags
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the person is trying to solve a homework equation but is having difficulty. They find the derivative of cos(x)/sin(x) and 1/x but are incorrect in their differentiation.
Sags

Homework Statement

lim (sin(x)/x)^(1/X^2)
x->0

Homework Equations

for the life of me i cannot get the correct solution

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried taking the log of both sides etc and working from there then applying l'hopitals rule until i get a result but the answer i always get is e^(-1/2) but the answer is e^(-1/6) any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
e^(-1/6) is correct. And that's the way to do it alright. But there is no way to tell why you get e^(-1/2) unless you show us what you did.

sorry ill give more info
lim (sin(x)/x)^(1/X^2)
x->0

let y = (sin(x)/x)^(1/X^2)
ln y = (ln(sin(x)/x))^(1/X^2)
ln y = (ln(sin(x)/x))/(X^2)
ln y = (ln sin(x) - ln(x))/(X^2)
apply l'hopital's rule
= (cos(x)/sin(x) - 1/y)/2X
apply l'hotital's rule again
= (-sin(x)/cos(x) -1/1)/2
and from there i get
= -1/2
then
y = e^(-1/2)

Last edited:
Sags said:
sorry ill give more info
lim (sin(x)/x)^(1/X^2)
x->0

let y = (sin(x)/x)^(1/X^2)
ln y = (ln(sin(x)/x))^(1/X^2)
ln y = (ln(sin(x)/x))/(X^2)
ln y = (ln sin(x) - ln(x))/(X^2)
apply l'hopital's rule
= (cos(x)/sin(x) - 1/y)/2X
How did y get over on the right side?
Applying L'Hopital's rule gives you
[tex]\frac{\frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}- 1/x}}{2x}[/tex]
so I assume the "1/y" was "1/x". That reduces to
[tex]\frac{xcos(x)- sin(x)}{2x^2sin(x)[/tex]
apply l'hotital's rule again
= (-sin(x)/cos(x) -1/1)/2
You are also differentiating incorrectly. The derivative of cos(x)/sin(x) is NOT (cos(x))'/(sin(x))' and the derivative of 1/x is NOT1/(x)'!

and from there i get
= -1/2
then
y = e^(-1/2)

1. What is the L'Hopital's rule?

The L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate the limit of a function that approaches either 0/0 or ∞/∞. It allows us to simplify the evaluation process by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function and then evaluating the limit again.

2. When can L'Hopital's rule be applied?

L'Hopital's rule can only be applied when the limit involves an indeterminate form such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. This means that both the numerator and denominator of the function approach 0 or ∞ as x approaches a certain value.

3. How do you use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate a limit?

To use L'Hopital's rule, you first need to identify if the limit is in an indeterminate form. Then, you take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function. After simplifying the new fraction, you can evaluate the limit again. This process can be repeated until a definite value is obtained or until it is clear that the limit does not exist.

4. What are the limitations of using L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms. It cannot be used for limits that approach non-zero constants, such as 2/3 or -5. Additionally, both the numerator and denominator of the function must be differentiable at the point where the limit is being evaluated.

5. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for all types of functions?

L'Hopital's rule can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable at the point where the limit is being evaluated. This means that it cannot be used for functions that have discontinuities, such as jump or infinite discontinuities. It also cannot be used for functions with vertical asymptotes, as they are not differentiable at those points.