Must read books

by john16O
Tags: books
john16O
Jan8-08, 09:13 PM
P: 55
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some must read books that any well-educated person should read. I like to read(a lot) but sometimes I do not always read the right books. I prefer books on math/science in general considering that I am a physics major. But any books that you have found to boost your knowledge and make you an all around more educated person would also be helpful. Feel free to list and discuss some of the top books that you have read!!I am looking forward to reading you posts!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
ice109
Jan8-08, 09:22 PM
P: 1,705
i haven't read these but Godel escher bach looks good and road to reality by penrose looks good.
waht
Jan8-08, 09:35 PM
P: 1,636
I just finished reading "Poincare Conjecture" by Donal O'Shea so I can recommend it. I picked it up to learn more about Poincare Conjecture in detail, but it turned out this book is more of a historical exposition of events leading to its discovery. Surprisingly, that was incredibly fascinating read.

kuahji
Jan8-08, 09:48 PM
P: 394

Must read books

I've listed some over in the science review section, so not gonna list those books again, but an one really interesting book I read lately was "The Hole in the Universe" by K.C. Cole. Its essentially a book about nothing... & how this nothing effects the universe.

The book "The Black Hole at the Center of Our Galaxy" by Fulvio Melia was also a pretty interesting read. After reading so many books about string theory & parallel worlds, it was good to come back to "reality" & read about theories pertaining to actual observed phenomena.
olgranpappy
Jan8-08, 09:53 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,273
Quote Quote by john16O View Post
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some must read books that any well-educated person should read. I like to read(a lot) but sometimes I do not always read the right books. I prefer books on math/science in general considering that I am a physics major. But any books that you have found to boost your knowledge and make you an all around more educated person would also be helpful. Feel free to list and discuss some of the top books that you have read!!I am looking forward to reading you posts!!!
The ten volumes of Landau and Lif****z "Course of Theoretical Physics". Then you will be an honorary Soviet physicist.
unit_circle
Jan8-08, 10:50 PM
P: 81
Quote Quote by olgranpappy View Post
The ten volumes of Landau and Lif****z "Course of Theoretical Physics". Then you will be an honorary Soviet physicist.
You will also be a damn good physicist.
Some Guy
Jan14-08, 02:28 AM
P: 4
Unknown Quantity by Derbyshire is a pretty good book about the historical development of algebra.
Yousof
Jan14-08, 06:19 AM
P: 1
a must-read and must-concern SUBJECT is "" self-development "" .
One i am reading now is " Power up your mind : learn faster, work smarter " by Bill Lucas .

a quotation from the book :

" Most of us donít understand the central role our minds have
in helping us to perform more effectively: we are simply not taught
how to learn or how to apply our learning. While we have discovered
more about the brain and how it works in the last decade than
we have ever known before, we apply very little of this in our daily
working or personal lives.

It is possible for everyone to learn faster, work smarter, and
be more fulfilled.

Power Up Your Mind translates what we know about how the
brain works into useful insights for the workplace. It has been written
from the conviction that intelligence is multifaceted and not
fixed at birth. It draws ideas from the broadest possible range of
subject areas, from neuroscience to psychology, motivation theory
to accelerated learning, memory to diet. "
nicksauce
Jan14-08, 06:26 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,276
Fabric of the cosmos and elegant universe by Brian Greene
Anything by Carl Sagan
Anything by Richard Dawkins
malawi_glenn
Jan14-08, 08:09 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
It is a difference reading physics books and study them.
leon1127
Jan14-08, 08:52 PM
P: 487
Theory of Complex Functions by Reinhold Remmert is a beauty to read as it mix theory, problem solving, and historical development in one book.
ffleming7
Jan30-08, 09:18 PM
P: 25
Quote Quote by malawi_glenn View Post
It is a difference reading physics books and study them.
What exactly do you mean? Do you suggest studying physics books that are not textbooks?
Andy Resnick
Jan31-08, 12:30 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
I second "Goedel, Esher, Bach" and "Cosmos". Also, at a more elementary level, "One, Two, Three, Infinity" By Gamow.

Another favorite of mine is "An Idiot's Fugitive Essays on Science" by Clifford Truesdell.

Edit: sorry, I forgot "Flying Circus of Physics", by Jearl Walker.
malawi_glenn
Jan31-08, 01:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by ffleming7 View Post
What exactly do you mean? Do you suggest studying physics books that are not textbooks?
No i mean going through the exersices, proove formulas, etc.

It is difference reading a QM book for example Sarkurai, only using your eyes. And trying to solve the exersices with a paper and pencil.
PhysiSmo
Jan31-08, 02:15 PM
P: n/a
Very true! Unfortunately, lots of books don't have exersices at all :( Prooving the formulas in the theory is also great, but the real digging into the subject comes along with the unsolved problems!
malawi_glenn
Jan31-08, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by PhysiSmo View Post
Very true! Unfortunately, lots of books don't have exersices at all :( Prooving the formulas in the theory is also great, but the real digging into the subject comes along with the unsolved problems!

if they dont contain exercises, then yes you can follow the forumulas and trying to get all the steps etc. Or find another textbook or excerixes somewhere else.

Physics is not a science that you gain knowledge by reading, nor math either. One has to practice and encounter difficulties and try to overcome them :)
BryanP
Mar10-08, 05:05 PM
P: 205
'Warped Passages' by Lisa Randall

I found this book quite easy to read, especially for not having too much of a particle physics background.

I like how she tries to explain the non-intuitive concepts in QM processes such as the
Higgs Mechanism and supersymmetry breaking. She ties it well with the whole description
behind brane theory and the search for hidden dimensions.

For anyone interested in this kind of stuff, this is a great read.
Oberst Villa
Apr13-08, 11:24 AM
P: 145
Quote Quote by olgranpappy View Post
hopefully not - just as reading Arnold Sommerfelds "Lectures on Theoretical Physics" would not turn him into a Nazi

back to topic, I second the proposal of ice109, "Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose

Register to reply