Register to reply

Graduate School for Mathematics Ph.D...

by rbzima
Tags: graduate, mathematics, school
Share this thread:
rbzima
Jan19-08, 01:50 PM
P: 86
So, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I really, honestly believe that this is my calling in life. Not just to get the Ph.D, but to teach at an upper education level with additional research as well.

I'm just starting the process of looking at various institutions, but my general background is that of a liberal arts college, double majored in Adolescent Education and Mathematics.

Furthermore, what do you guys know about various assistantships for various colleges? Do they generally let first year graduate students be teaching assistants for professors?

Lastly, what specifically should I be looking for in a graduate school? I know that when you start looking at undergraduate programs, you aren't really looking for your field: it's more concern with faculty and environment than straight up reputation nationally. So how should I approach this? Any advice would be absolutely fantastic!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
zhentil
Jan19-08, 05:46 PM
P: 491
What is your research interest? That's the most important thing to consider. Second is the reputation of the school, and third would be financial support. Most schools offer TA positions for first-year grad students.

The other thing to consider is which liberal arts college you went to. Some are great, but if the mathematics program is particularly bad, you might need to take the math GRE. Was your math degree a BS, or did it focus on Education?
mathwonk
Jan20-08, 11:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,484
which subjects did you like most? algebra? analysis? topology?

you may want to choose a school partly based on what topics are well represented there.

it is also important to find a good fit for your level of preparation.

financial support is also important, and their record of placing graduates may be relevant, although this can vary with the job climate as much as the quality of the school.

rbzima
Jan21-08, 06:36 AM
P: 86
Graduate School for Mathematics Ph.D...

Well, I personally prefer analysis topics, both real and complex. Furthermore, the grad program I just found has a fantastic TA paygrade compared to other grad programs as well, so this might very well be a reality for me in the next couple years.

One final question:
Do grad schools tend to look at GRE's as much as they have in the past. Has it essentially become like the SAT: a more traditional test not really looked at by colleges anyway? Lastly, should I take the GRE's before applying or after applying?
mathwonk
Jan21-08, 09:15 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,484
i look for as high a gre as possible. i like to see 800 in quantitative.

and who said sat's are not looked at? i think they are.

Register to reply