Conservation of Energy With Loss Due to Friction

by seichan
Tags: conservation, energy, friction, loss, solved
Share this thread:
seichan
Mar7-08, 07:44 PM
P: 32
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The cable of an elevator of mass m= 2690 kg snaps when the elevator is a rest at one of the floors of a skyscraper. At this point the elevator is a distance d= 75.0 m above a cushioning spring whose spring constant is k= 9700 N/m. A safety device clamps the elevator against the guide rails so that a constant frictional force of f= 9358 N opposes the motion of the elevator. Find the maximum distance by which the cushioning spring will be compressed.

2. Relevant equations
U(x)=mgh
w(x)=1/2kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, I thought this problew was pretty straight forward. I first calculated the potential energy for the elevator when it is at rest, in which I found to be U(x)=mgd. This would be equal to the Kinetic friction at the bottom, however, there is energy loss to friction. So, the energy when the elevator hits the spring is U(x)-Force of friction, or mgd-f. We can set this eqaul to the amount of work done by the spring and solve for x. In other words: sqrt((2(mgd-f))/k)=x. The displacement is negative, so we want the negative value of this square root. I have put this answer into my web assignment a few times and cannot figure out where I am going wrong (I've tried using a positive value for the displacement as well). If you could tell me where my reasoning is wrong, that would be great.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Doc Al
Mar7-08, 07:48 PM
Mentor
P: 41,323
When calculating the gravitational PE, don't forget to include the distance that the spring compresses.
seichan
Mar7-08, 07:54 PM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
When calculating the gravitational PE, don't forget to include the distance that the spring compresses.
Thank you very much- but how do I isolate x in that case?

1/2kx^2=mg(d+x)-f
=mgd+mgx-f
1/2kx^2-mgx=mgd-f

Also, can't I look at the top of the spring as the x-axis? That was the asumption I was going with.

Doc Al
Mar7-08, 08:01 PM
Mentor
Conservation of Energy With Loss Due to Friction

Quote Quote by seichan View Post
Thank you very much- but how do I isolate x in that case?

1/2kx^2=mg(d+x)-f
=mgd+mgx-f
1/2kx^2-mgx=mgd-f
That "f" should be the work done by friction, not just the friction force.

You'll end up with a quadratic equation. Solve it!

Also, can't I look at the top of the spring as the x-axis? That was the asumption I was going with.
Not sure what you mean. You can certainly measure distances from the top of the spring, but in that case your final position will have a gravitational PE term. (If that's what you mean.)
seichan
Mar7-08, 08:05 PM
To clarify, it should be:
1/2kx^2=mg(d+x)-fx
1/2kx^2=mgd+(mg-f)x
1/2kx^2-(mg-f)x-mgd=0
Right? Thank you for your help =)
Doc Al
Mar7-08, 08:09 PM
Mentor
The friction force acts throughout the motion, not just over the distance x. Redo the work done against friction.
seichan
Mar7-08, 08:16 PM
Thank you so much =) It's correct

Register to reply