How does a simple light tracking device work?

In summary: The algorithm used is a comparator. When the light level exceeds the threshold, the comparator will output a HIGH signal. The PIC microcontroller then uses the A/D converter to detect this signal and position the photo sensor accordingly.
Reshma
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my final year electronics project on PIC-Microcontroller. It is a simple light tracking device. The project theme to demonstrate the working of a Sun tracker using a PIC micro controller.

The sun tracker solar panel has a controller interface that can adjust the angle of the panel in the direction of the highest incident radiation. I want to demonstrate this using a simple photo sensor that will move in the direction of a moving light source (can be a simple torchlight moved by hand). The components I have used are:
1)Photo sensor (phototransistors)
2)PIC microcontroller - 16F877 (has a built-in A/D conversion module)
3)unipolar stepper motor
4)ULN2003 (Darlington Transistor Array -for driving the stepper motor)

Photo-Transistors are used as sensors for generating an analog voltage proportional to intensity of light falling on it. The PIC16F877 has a built-in Analog-to-Digital-Converter (ADC). The analog voltages from the Photo-transistors are given as Inputs to the Analog Port pins of the PIC. The Photo-transistors are mounted on the Shaft of the Stepper Motor. The Stepper Motor requires that its stator windings should be energized in a programmed sequence to cause the motor to run in a given direction with a required speed. The software includes the positioning of collectors through stepper motor & data acquisition and processing in the Microcontroller. I have written the code in MPLAB IDE. Here are the pictures of the PCB and the main working project.

This the PCB inside the device. The soldering of components took about 2 days.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/reshma_b85/solarpro3.jpg

This is the wooden box inside which the motor and the circuit has been placed. The sensors are mounted on the ring. This took the longest time to complete.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/reshma_b85/solarpro1.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/reshma_b85/solarpro2.jpg

Here is the video of the device in operation. Let me warn, the quality isn't that good since it was captured using my cell phone cam. I recommend watching it under low resolution.

Feel free to comment and provide suggestions for improvement. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've seen a solar array about 1 yard square. It had a passive heat pipe that would orient the panel. If one side of the pipe were in shade, and the other in sunlight, the freon(or whatever) would move to reorient the panel normal.

It's hard to beat ingenious simplicity.

Hi:
I guess I saw your project on youtube also :)
I am doing a light detector also, can you tell me the chips you put on your board?

Thanks
Dora

madean said:
Hi:
I guess I saw your project on youtube also :)
I am doing a light detector also, can you tell me the chips you put on your board?

Thanks
Dora
There were only two "chips": The PIC microcontroller and the current driver (ULN2003). That's the advantage of using a higher configuration microcontroller. There are plenty to chose from.

You get a built in ADC and other cool peripherals. The other important task apart from the circuit design is the program code.

I saw this done yesterday at our first year design showcase. The guy used 2 photo resistors on either side of a panel sticking up from the middle and a simple circuit with a servo. Could track East/West. Granted, it was more of a solar cell idea.

I did this exact same thing with a PIC microcontroller about a year ago. It works a little different and I never integrated it with a motor.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hR0TkviIOQVlHE_UHL3NnA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJXKmJS94Iqofg&feat=directlink

This link is to a Picasa video I made about a year ago demonstrating it. I decided to output polar coordinates for it based on my specs and application. I also used photoresistors since I could easily obtain them. The nice thing about this one is that it's relative to north at all times so directionality can be adjusted pretty simply (most nowadays are anyways). Anyways, I figured I'd put this up to show how I did it.

Enjoy

-------------
Justin Coulston
justin.coulston@gmail.com
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
That was very cool, Justin! Thanks for sharing :smile:

what is the algorithm for such a tracker which allows it to track the light?

I think it's if one signal is at a higher voltage than the other, rotate the dish until they're equal

but the sun is very high with respect to the difference between the position of the sensors so i think the difference of the intensity will not be high difference...

hisham.i said:
but the sun is very high with respect to the difference between the position of the sensors so i think the difference of the intensity will not be high difference...
Depends on what you want to track. If you want to track the sun, get a solar panel if you can afford it.

What is a simple light tracking device?

A simple light tracking device is a tool that uses sensors to detect light and track its movement. It can be used to follow the path of the sun, monitor the movement of objects, or track changes in light intensity.

How does a simple light tracking device work?

A simple light tracking device typically consists of a light sensor, a microcontroller, and a servo motor. The light sensor detects changes in light intensity and sends signals to the microcontroller, which then controls the servo motor to adjust the position of the device to face the light source.

What are the applications of a simple light tracking device?

A simple light tracking device can be used for various applications such as solar energy systems, sun-tracking solar panels, plant growth monitoring, security systems, and photography.

Can a simple light tracking device be used indoors?

Yes, a simple light tracking device can be used indoors as long as there is a light source for the device to track. However, it may not be as accurate as when used outdoors due to varying light conditions and reflections.

Is it possible to build a simple light tracking device on my own?

Yes, it is possible to build a simple light tracking device with the right materials and knowledge. There are many tutorials and DIY projects available online that can guide you through the process.