Register to reply

Confused about supremum

by AKBAR
Tags: confused, supremum
Share this thread:
AKBAR
Jun4-08, 03:58 PM
P: 5
Let 0 < r < 1. Then [tex]\sup_{x\in[-r,r]}f(x)=f(r)}[/tex], right? However, the text I'm reading says it's [tex]f(-r)[/tex]. How could this be? For example, say r = 0.5, then the least upper bound of [-0.5, 0.5] is 0.5, or r, right? I don't see how it could be -r. Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
tiny-tim
Jun4-08, 04:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi AKBAR!
Quote Quote by AKBAR View Post
Let 0 < r < 1. Then [tex]\sup_{x\in[-r,r]}f(x)=f(r)}[/tex], right?
No.

That will be true if f is increasing in [-r,r], but not in most other cases.

What is f? What is the relevance of 0 < r < 1? What is the context?
HallsofIvy
Jun4-08, 05:15 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
Quote Quote by AKBAR View Post
Let 0 < r < 1. Then [tex]\sup_{x\in[-r,r]}f(x)=f(r)}[/tex], right? However, the text I'm reading says it's [tex]f(-r)[/tex]. How could this be? For example, say r = 0.5, then the least upper bound of [-0.5, 0.5] is 0.5, or r, right? I don't see how it could be -r. Thanks for any help.
You are taking the supremum ("least upper bound") of the values of f not x!

For example, if f(x)= x, then f(-r)= -r, f(r)= r and f takes on all values between -r and r. In that case the sup of f(x) on the interval (not the sup of the interval itself) is f(r).

But if f(x)= -x, then f(-r)= r, f(r)= -r and now the supremum occurs at -r: f(-r) is the largest value (in fact it is the maximum value).

And it can get more complicated than that. If f(x)= -x2, then f(-r)= f(r)= -r2< 0. The maximum (and so sup) occurs in the middle of the interval. The sup is f(0)= 0.

AKBAR
Jun4-08, 05:24 PM
P: 5
Confused about supremum

Ahhhh....that really clears things up. Thank you guys.

The function in question was [tex]f(x)=\frac{(n-1)!}{(1+x)^n}[/tex]. So [tex]\sup_{-r\leq x\leq r}\frac{(n-1)!}{(1+x)^n}=\frac{(n-1)!}{(1-r)^n}[/tex] The r comes from the radius of convergence of a Taylor expansion (I'm reading about where T(x) = f(x) ).

Thanks again for the help.

Register to reply