Register to reply

Alternative to matlab

by Some Guy
Tags: alternative, matlab
Share this thread:
Some Guy
Sep28-08, 11:20 PM
P: 4
I'm currently taking a college algebra course. I have been using matlab to check answers to problems not given in the back of the book. Although I respect the power and flexibility of the program, I've found the interface to be time consuming and error-prone. Can anyone recommend a program capable of symbolic math with an easier to use interface?

Difficulty: must run on *nix and be open-source or easily thievable.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
wildman
Sep29-08, 12:06 AM
P: 252
Mathematica is perfect but it is VERY expensive.
quasar_4
Sep29-08, 12:07 AM
P: 290
Maple rules!!

Actually, I have to say that, as my job involves Maple development. But actually, it's a great program - find a copy, even Maple 11 is fine - go to the classic worksheet. Then at the prompt you can read about the commands by typing a ? with a topic or command name, i.e.
> ?DifferentialGeometry
and it will bring up the help files. The commands might seem crazy at first, but if you go through the tutorial, you'll have it all in your head in no time. It took me 2 months to become proficient enough not just to use Maple, but to write code for new Maple commands. :) And I think it is a far more powerful tool for symbolic features, while Matlab tends to do well with very large sets of data that need number crunching.

Let's see, for college algebra, Maple can factor and find roots of polynomials, simplify expressions, you can check if lhs of equation = rhs, the list just goes on and on!

quasar_4
Sep29-08, 12:08 AM
P: 290
Alternative to matlab

I forgot to add: your university might have a copy that you can use. Our open-access computer labs all have Maple, and our CS department has a Maple disk that they'll loan for you to take home and put on your personal computer. So as long as you're a student, you can use the software for free, at some universities.
Some Guy
Sep29-08, 02:48 AM
P: 4
Thank you both. maple seems to be perfectly suited to my needs. I'll go see if my computer lab has a copy tomorrow.
vanesch
Sep29-08, 03:29 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 6,236
That said, if you need *free* alternatives, there are matlab-like free suites, like Scilab (I like it), or Octave for numerical work, and there are free CAS systems like maxima if you need symbolic manipulation. They are not as user-friendly and powerful as matlab, mathematica or maple, but they are free, and run as well under linux as windows and mac.

Register to reply