Share this thread:
Unassuming
Oct16-08, 08:57 PM
P: 169
For n in the naturals, let

[tex]p_n = 1 + \frac{1}{2!} + ... + \frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

Show it is cauchy.

Attempt:

I have set up |p_n+k - p_n | < e , and I have solved for this.

I got [tex]|p_{n+k} - p_n | = \frac{1}{(n+1)!} + ... + \frac{1}{(n+k)!}[/tex]

I am trying to follow an example in the book. I now need to find a telescoping sequence that is a little bit greater than my sequence above. It should also contain what seems like two fractions, or parts, with one of them converging and the other adding an arbitrary "k". I would appreciate any hints on this.

I got stuck on how to break up, 1 / (n+k-1)! . I am not sure if that is worthwhile or I am totally off.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Mark44
Oct16-08, 09:52 PM
Mentor
P: 21,286
Quote Quote by Unassuming View Post
For n in the naturals, let

[tex]p_n = 1 + \frac{1}{2!} + ... + \frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

Show it is cauchy.

Attempt:

I have set up |p_n+k - p_n | < e , and I have solved for this.

I got [tex]|p_{n+k} - p_n | = \frac{1}{(n+1)!} + ... + \frac{1}{(n+k)!}[/tex]

I am trying to follow an example in the book. I now need to find a telescoping sequence that is a little bit greater than my sequence above. It should also contain what seems like two fractions, or parts, with one of them converging and the other adding an arbitrary "k". I would appreciate any hints on this.

I got stuck on how to break up, 1 / (n+k-1)! . I am not sure if that is worthwhile or I am totally off.
You have k terms, the largest of which is 1/(n + 1)! Is that enough of a hint?
Unassuming
Oct16-08, 11:25 PM
Your hint helped but since this is my first cauchy problem I am still lost. I am getting lost when I try to find the partial fractions of

[tex]\frac{1}{n!(n+k)}[/tex]

I am doing this in order to get the telescoping sequence.

Mark44
Oct16-08, 11:48 PM
Mentor
P: 21,286
Show sequence is cauchy

Quote Quote by Unassuming View Post
Your hint helped but since this is my first cauchy problem I am still lost. I am getting lost when I try to find the partial fractions of

[tex]\frac{1}{n!(n+k)}[/tex]

I am doing this in order to get the telescoping sequence.
So why do you think you need to decompose the fraction and why do you think you need a telescoping sequence? Given a positive number epsilon, all you need to do is find a number N so that for all m and n larger than N, any two terms in your sequence are closer together than epsilon.

HINT: You have k terms (count 'em!) on the right, the largest of which is 1/(n + 1)!
boombaby
Oct17-08, 03:31 AM
P: 130
I'm not sure how to use your hint, Mark44....
are you going to prove it by saying that
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}<\frac{k}{(n+1)!}[/tex],
which looks as if it approaches to 0 as N goes to infinity. So it can be made less than a given epsilon?
But, I realize that k is independent on the given epsilon. So if you find a N. I can choose k large enough, say, k=(n+1)! which will make that inequality useless.
So how can it be done?

A different hint: prove its convergenece as an upper bounded increasing sequences, which implies also it's a cauchy.

PS. Well, after a second thought, The hint of Mark44 really works, but a bit tricky
Unassuming
Oct17-08, 03:48 PM
Quote Quote by boombaby View Post
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}<\frac{k}{(n+1)!}[/tex],
I got [tex] \frac{k}{(n+1)!} = \frac{k}{n!} - \frac{kn}{(n+1)!} [/tex]

I can't get anywhere. I want to say something like k/n! is convergent, therefore it is cauchy and we can say that,

[tex]| \frac{k}{n!} - \frac{kn}{(n+1)!} | < e [/tex]

I know that can't work because there is an n in the numerator but what else can I do?
Unassuming
Oct17-08, 07:47 PM
Okay, I feel good. Somebody shoot me down!

Since 1/n! converges to 0 and n->inf , we can let e>0 and say there exists N in Naturals such that for all n >= N,

| 1/n! - 0 | < e/k.

Therefore,

| s_n+k - s_n | = 1/(n+1)! + ... + 1/(n+k)! < k/ (n+1)! < k/n! < k(e/k) = e.

Please, please, please let this be right. I am ready to move on.
boombaby
Oct17-08, 08:17 PM
this is not right.. as I said before, your k should be independent on epsilon.
try
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1}{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\fr ac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n! n}[/tex]
so we can choose a N large enough, no matter how large your k is, its sum is less than a given epislon.
dirk_mec1
Oct18-08, 06:28 AM
P: 682
[tex]
\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+ k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1 }{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n +1)^{k}})<
[/tex]

[tex] < \frac{1}{(n+1)!} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(n+1)^j} < \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(n+1)^j} = \frac{n+1}{n} [/tex]
boombaby
Oct20-08, 02:57 AM
no...it is useless that you have "........< (n+1)/n"
Unassuming
Oct20-08, 08:43 AM
Choose N> 1/e. Then for all n > N we have that,

[tex]

\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1}{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\fr ac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n! n}<\frac{1}{n}<\varepsilon

[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]|s_{n+k}-s_n|<\varepsilon[/tex].

Is that right?

EDIT: Is that LaTeX showing up for anybody else?
dirk_mec1
Oct20-08, 11:29 AM
[tex]
\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+ k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1 }{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n +1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n!n}<\frac{1}{n}<\varepsilon
[/tex]

\\Edit: indeed latex isn't working
boombaby
Oct20-08, 12:49 PM
test:
[tex]\frac{1}{n!} \int^{1}_{0} sin x dx[/tex]

Edit: indeed
dirk_mec1
Oct22-08, 03:43 AM
[tex]

\frac{1}{(n+1)!}+\frac{1}{(n+2)!}+...+\frac{1}{(n+ k)!}=\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+2)}+\frac{1}{(n+2)(n+3)}+...\frac{1 }{(n+2)...(n+k)})<\frac{1}{(n+1)!} (1+\frac{1}{(n+1)}+\frac{1}{(n+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(n +1)^{k}})<\frac{1}{n!n} [/tex]

[tex]<\frac{1}{n}<\varepsilon

[/tex]

Latex is working again

Register to reply