by arunbg
Tags: cheese, evo, food, ninfa, recipes
Share this thread:
Evo
Oct4-08, 11:10 AM
Mentor
P: 26,560
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
This morning I made a casserole. Rotini, chicken thighs, italian sausage, green bellpeppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and chopped baby spinach with alfredo sauce covered liberally with mozzarella and baked.

It turned out quite well.
Sounds yummy. I need some new recipes.
Evo
Oct4-08, 11:13 AM
Mentor
I going to buy a smoked turkey today. That's guaranteed good eats for at least two weeks. I'll be making some tasty smoked turkey and bean soup with the carcass, YUM!!
turbo
Oct4-08, 02:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Cooler weather is here, so while I was working clearing out the garden, my wife started baking zucchini/pineapple bread and apple bread. She took a loaf of each to our organic-gardener neighbor, and he showed up a bit later with a backhoe to rip an oak stump out of our front lawn. Get about 1/2 hour of heavy-equipment time for two loaves of fruit bread? Sounds like a hell of a deal. We don't barter since there is not expectation of payback - it always happens somehow, though, sooner or later. His wife has already started planning for Christmas wreaths, and I'm sure she'll go overboard on ours again.

Here is the best zucchini bread you'll ever have. Watch the cooking times if you decide to cook it in muffin tins instead of loaves. We usually have muffins for ourselves and our parents, and give loaves to larger households. This recipe came out of my mother's recipe-box, so it is over 30 years old at least.

Zucchini bread

2 eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cup ground zucchini
2 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
3-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tbs salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup nuts
1 cup raisins

bake for 1 hour at 350 deg
Moonbear
Oct4-08, 04:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by tribdog View Post
I've never tried authentic soy sauce so I don't know how they compare. I grew up with LaChoy soy sauce, and I like it. I don't like Kikoman.
It's an entirely different flavor, and very strong. It takes some time to get used to cooking with it, because when I first started using it, I'd add the same amount I used to add of the Kikoman, and it would be overwhelming. A little splash will flavor as much as a cup of the regular grocery store varieties. Since it comes in these giant bottles (about a liter or more) that are usually cheaper than the tiny bottle of LaChoy or Kikoman, it's really a bargain to get it from a Chinese grocery. Of course, that requires having access to a Chinese grocery. The bottle I have moved with me...it's lasted that long.
Evo
Oct4-08, 08:36 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
It's an entirely different flavor, and very strong. It takes some time to get used to cooking with it, because when I first started using it, I'd add the same amount I used to add of the Kikoman, and it would be overwhelming. A little splash will flavor as much as a cup of the regular grocery store varieties. Since it comes in these giant bottles (about a liter or more) that are usually cheaper than the tiny bottle of LaChoy or Kikoman, it's really a bargain to get it from a Chinese grocery. Of course, that requires having access to a Chinese grocery. The bottle I have moved with me...it's lasted that long.
I found an Asian grocery store not far from here. I need to go and get some stuff.

When I lived in DC, the Navy Exchange store had a Filipino food section where you could get some great stuff. My Filipino friend taught me how to make the best lumpia in the world.
turbo
Oct13-08, 07:52 AM
PF Gold
Evo, here is a no-bake cookie recipe that is identical in ingredients and very, very close in amounts to the recipes my wife uses. I found two no-bake chocolate/oatmeal recipes in the box and they are so close to this that I decided not to type it all out. My wife tinkers with quantities, anyway, so none of her written recipes is gospel.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/nob...r/bl90710a.htm
Evo
Oct18-08, 10:26 AM
Mentor
Thanks turbo!

It's fall sweater weather, so I am starting a big pot of chili.

I also bought 10 pounds of chicken breast because they were on sale for 99 cents a pound and didn't have the back bone or fat on them, so a really good buy. I just don't care for white meat much because it tends to be dry and flavorless compared to the dark meat. Alton Brown agrees, so I am right, once again.

I need a recipe that will work with the white meat. I wanted to do a fricasee, but I don't think it will turn out well with just white meat.

Suggestions?
tribdog
Oct18-08, 10:28 AM
P: 693
Evo, I have a lentils question. Are you supposed to cook them til they are mushy or are they supposed to have a little crunch?
Evo
Oct18-08, 10:46 AM
Mentor
I prefer them cooked until soft, simmer about 45 minutes, but I have a friend that loves them cooked 30 minutes. Make sure you have them covered by at least two inches of water while cooking so they don't dry out and scorch.

Also, I only add salt and garlic to them, maybe a bit of chopped onion. They have a wonderful flavor that too many people hide with tons of spices and meat and other weird stuff.

But if you don't like the taste of lentils, then I guess add a lot of other stuff.
Borek
Oct18-08, 10:55 AM
Admin
P: 23,600
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
bake for 1 hour at 350 deg
F or C?
tribdog
Oct18-08, 10:56 AM
Kelvin
turbo
Oct18-08, 11:03 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Thanks turbo!

It's fall sweater weather, so I am starting a big pot of chili.

I also bought 10 pounds of chicken breast because they were on sale for 99 cents a pound and didn't have the back bone or fat on them, so a really good buy. I just don't care for white meat much because it tends to be dry and flavorless compared to the dark meat. Alton Brown agrees, so I am right, once again.

I need a recipe that will work with the white meat. I wanted to do a fricasee, but I don't think it will turn out well with just white meat.

Suggestions?
I have been brining whole chickens and turkeys for roasting, but haven't tried brining chicken parts. I wouldn't bother brining dark meat, but it's worth a try with breasts. I'm normally not a big fan of white meat, but the breast meat on a brined chicken or turkey is really good. Disclaimer: I always roast poultry breast-down so that fat from the dark meat migrates to the breast, and that may be a factor. You might try roasting each breast with a strip of bacon draped over it...
tribdog
Oct18-08, 11:05 AM
Nice moist white meat is my favorite.
Evo
Oct20-08, 06:51 PM
Mentor
I've been watching the candy competitions on the Food Network and these people have absolutely no common sense.

They make the pieces out of chocolate and they keep trying to attach these big pieces to small flat bases and wonder why they keep falling over. HEY DUMMIES, why don't you make a groove or cut out that the attachment sits in and then add the chocolate to make it stick. By resting the bottom of the attachment in the part you are attaching it to instead of trying to sit it on top of a flat piece, you give it so much more stability. What's wrong with these people?
Borek
Oct21-08, 03:50 AM
Admin
Zucchini bread
2 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
Canned?

1 cup nuts
Walnuts? Hazelnuts? Anynuts?
turbo
Oct21-08, 07:05 AM
PF Gold
Yes, Borek, the recipe is set up for canned pineapple. It's an old recipe, and it's only in recent years that fresh pineapple has been readily available in stores here. We use crushed walnuts, but any kind of nuts you like will be fine - pecans would be fine too, as would hazelnuts.
Borek
Oct21-08, 12:55 PM
Admin
Yes, Borek, the recipe is set up for canned pineapple. It's an old recipe, and it's only in recent years that fresh pineapple has been readily available in stores here. We use crushed walnuts, but any kind of nuts you like will be fine - pecans would be fine too, as would hazelnuts.
Baked with walnuts. Good . We make similar cake with carrots.
Borek
Oct21-08, 01:00 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
HEY DUMMIES, why don't you make a groove or cut out that the attachment sits in and then add the chocolate to make it stick. By resting the bottom of the attachment in the part you are attaching it to instead of trying to sit it on top of a flat piece, you give it so much more stability. What's wrong with these people?
That's physics and/or mechanical engineering, this is cooking contest.

Register to reply