Un-damped Driven Harmonic Oscillator Question

In summary, the driver force F(t)=F-naught*sin(wt) is switched on at t=0. Find x(t) for t>0 for initial conditions x=0, v=0, at t=0.
Niner49er52

Homework Statement

An un-damped driven harmonic oscillator satisfies the equation of motion: ma+kx=F(t) where we may write the un-damped angular frequency w-naught^2=k/m. The driving force F(t)=F-naught*sin(wt) is switched on at t=0. Find x(t) for t>0 for initial conditions x=0, v=0,at t=0.

Homework Equations

I know that this can be written in terms of a complimentary and a particular solution and that the complimentary solution will be in the form x(t)=Asin(w-naught*t-delta) and that I need to consider a particular solution in the form x(t)=Asin(wt) and determine A by plugging x(t) into the differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

The final answer is given as x(t)= -((F-naught/m)(w/w-naught)/(w-naught^2-w^2)) sin(w-naught*t) + ((F-naught/m)/(w-naught^2-w^2)) sin(wt)
Ive done similar problems that have worked out but for some reason I can't get this to come out right. It's driving me nuts I've been working on it all weekend and have to turn this work in tomorrow morning.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get for A when you plug your particular solution into the DE...what does that give you for your general solution?

ok, i got that part. A will equal (F-naught/m)/(w-naught^2-w^2). I think I was just writing it wrong when I plugged into the DE. Now I just have to work through the complimentary part.

hmm, I know this should be the easy part but I'm stuck again! I can't seem to figure out how to solve for A in the complimentary part.

You'll have to use the initial condition that you were given: x(0)=x'(0)=0...remember that these condition apply to the total solution, not just the complimentary part.

thanks, that's what's probably getting me here. appreciate all the help

1. What is an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator?

An un-damped driven harmonic oscillator is a system in which a mass is attached to a spring and is subjected to an external driving force. The system oscillates back and forth with a constant amplitude at a frequency determined by the properties of the system.

2. What is the equation of motion for an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator is x'' + ω2x = F cos(ωdt), where x is the displacement of the mass, ω is the natural frequency of the system, F is the amplitude of the driving force, and ωd is the frequency of the driving force.

3. How does the driving force affect the motion of an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator?

The driving force determines the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations of the un-damped driven harmonic oscillator. A larger driving force will result in a larger amplitude of oscillation, while a higher frequency of the driving force will result in a higher frequency of oscillation.

4. What is resonance in an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator?

Resonance occurs in an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the system. This results in a large amplitude of oscillation and can potentially damage the system if not properly controlled.

5. How is energy conserved in an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator?

In an un-damped driven harmonic oscillator, energy is conserved between the kinetic energy of the mass and the potential energy of the spring. The total energy of the system remains constant, even as the mass oscillates back and forth.