Register to reply

Highest achievable compression frequency

by jeberd
Tags: frequency, product, signal, sound
Share this thread:
jeberd
Nov23-08, 01:05 AM
P: 12
I am wondering what the upper limit for frequency is currently as far as audio signal generators go.

Basically I want to know how high of a frequency I can get on a compression wave. I don't mean the theoretical limit based on the atomic spacing in the medium, but rather if I want to buy a signal generator (speaker) how high I will be able to get. Ultimately I am interested in creating a standing wave with very small widths for the compression region. I am thinking in the 10's to 100's of GHz but I don't know if such frequencies are realizable. I am suspecting that if it is going to be possible that piezoelectrics are going to be required.

Can someone help me out? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
pallidin
Nov24-08, 07:51 PM
P: 2,292
Piezo materiels do have a very high potential frequency response. Even still, a thin ferromagnetic membrane could be better.
jeberd
Nov24-08, 09:40 PM
P: 12
do you have any idea of what frequencies could be achieved though? I am less interested in how it is done, just what can be done, or is anticipated being able to be done.

pallidin
Nov25-08, 02:52 AM
P: 2,292
Highest achievable compression frequency

Yeah, I don't know jeberd. Maybe some expert will jump in. If not, maybe you could re-phrase the question and post it in the General Physics section. I've had luck there.

Register to reply