Highest achievable compression frequency

by jeberd
Tags: frequency, product, signal, sound
jeberd
Nov23-08, 01:05 AM
P: 12
I am wondering what the upper limit for frequency is currently as far as audio signal generators go.

Basically I want to know how high of a frequency I can get on a compression wave. I don't mean the theoretical limit based on the atomic spacing in the medium, but rather if I want to buy a signal generator (speaker) how high I will be able to get. Ultimately I am interested in creating a standing wave with very small widths for the compression region. I am thinking in the 10's to 100's of GHz but I don't know if such frequencies are realizable. I am suspecting that if it is going to be possible that piezoelectrics are going to be required.

Can someone help me out? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A smart prosthetic knee with in-vivo diagnoses
Old tires become material for new and improved roads
Students take clot-buster for a spin
pallidin
Nov24-08, 07:51 PM
P: 2,292
Piezo materiels do have a very high potential frequency response. Even still, a thin ferromagnetic membrane could be better.
jeberd
Nov24-08, 09:40 PM
P: 12
do you have any idea of what frequencies could be achieved though? I am less interested in how it is done, just what can be done, or is anticipated being able to be done.

pallidin
Nov25-08, 02:52 AM
P: 2,292

Highest achievable compression frequency

Yeah, I don't know jeberd. Maybe some expert will jump in. If not, maybe you could re-phrase the question and post it in the General Physics section. I've had luck there.

Register to reply