Register to reply

Complex power series to calculate Fourier series

by terhorst
Tags: complex, fourier, power, series
Share this thread:
terhorst
Dec6-08, 09:29 AM
P: 11
I never took complex analysis in undergrad and always regretted it, so I'm working through the book Visual Complex Analysis on my own. Really enjoying it so far.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Actually you can view the problem here, it's #21 at the top of the page.

Show that the Fourier series for [tex][\cos(\sin \theta)]e^{\cos \theta}[/tex] is [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{\cos n \theta}{n!}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

The author suggests substituting [tex]z=re^{i \theta}[/tex] into the power series for [tex]e^z[/tex] and then isolating the real and imaginary parts.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really understand why the substitution. So then you end up with [tex]\sum \frac{r^n [\cos(n \theta) + i \sin (n \theta)]}{n !}[/tex]. But I don't see how this gets me any closer to equating [tex][\cos(\sin \theta)]e^{\cos \theta}[/tex] and [tex]\sum \frac{r^n \cos(n \theta)}{n!}[/tex].

A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
tiny-tim
Dec6-08, 07:27 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by terhorst View Post
Show that the Fourier series for [tex][\cos(\sin \theta)]e^{\cos \theta}[/tex] is [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{\cos n \theta}{n!}[/tex].

The author suggests substituting [tex]z=re^{i \theta}[/tex] into the power series for [tex]e^z[/tex] and then isolating the real and imaginary parts.
Hi terhorst!

(have a theta: θ )

Hints:

i] use r = 1

ii] what is cos(eisinθ) ?

Register to reply