Register to reply

Lexicographic Square, topology

by mathsss2
Tags: lexicographic, square, topology
Share this thread:
mathsss2
Dec2-08, 08:57 PM
P: 38
Show that any basic open set about a point on the "top edge," that is, a point of form [tex](a, 1)[/tex], where [tex]a < 1[/tex], must intersect the "bottom edge."

Background:

Definition- The lexicographic square is the set [tex]X = [0,1] \times [0,1][/tex] with the dictionary, or lexicographic, order. That is [tex](a, b) < (c, d)[/tex] if and only if either [tex]a < b[/tex], or [tex]a = b[/tex] and [tex]c < d[/tex]. This is a linear order on [tex]X[/tex], and the example we seek is [tex]X[/tex] with the order topology.

We follow usual customs for intervals, so that [tex][(a,b),(c,d)) = \{ (x,y) \in X : (a,b) \leq (x,y) < (c,d) \}[/tex]. A subbase for the order topology on [tex]X[/tex] is the collection of all sets of form [tex][(0,0),(a,b))[/tex] or of form [tex][(a,b),(1,1)).[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
adriank
Dec2-08, 09:46 PM
P: 534
What do your base elements look like? From that it should be obvious.
mathsss2
Dec4-08, 12:05 AM
This problem is sort of confusing me. I am not sure what the base elements look like here. What do they look like? Maybe I am just not seeing something.

adriank
Dec4-08, 12:23 AM
Lexicographic Square, topology

The base elements are all finite intersections of your subbase elements; they are intervals of the form [tex][(0, 0), a)[/tex], [tex](a, (1, 1)][/tex], or [tex](a, b)[/tex], where [tex](0, 0) < a < b < (1, 1)[/tex].
mathsss2
Dec7-08, 02:36 PM
So, we know the base elements are intervals of the form [tex][(0, 0), a) , (a, (1, 1)][/tex], or [tex](a, b)[/tex], where [tex](0, 0) < a < b < (1, 1)[/tex].

We need to show that any basic open set about a point on the "top edge," that is, a point of form [tex](a, 1)[/tex], where [tex]a < 1[/tex], must intersect the "bottom edge."

How is this obvious now? I don't understand the connection? Thanks for all your help with topology, I was able to solve the other problem you helped me with too.
adriank
Dec7-08, 02:41 PM
What base elements contain the point (a, 1)?
mathsss2
Dec8-08, 02:54 PM
Turns out there was a typo in the problem [that was throwing me off a lot]. So, the lexicographic order should be [tex](a,b)<(c,d)[/tex] if and only if [tex]a<c[/tex] or [tex]a=c[/tex] and [tex]b<d[/tex]. So, is our solution the same knowing this now?
adriank
Dec8-08, 03:48 PM
Ahh, I completely ignored that typo, already knowing what the lexicographic order is. Everything I said holds. Can you figure it out now? :)
mathsss2
Dec8-08, 07:42 PM
Yes, I solved it. Thanks for the help.

Register to reply