by fluidistic
Tags: drops, fluid, sperical
Share this thread:
fluidistic
Mar19-09, 04:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
Hi,
I'm almost sure that this question frequently appears and have been asked thousands of times and if so, then excuse me and I'll be OK if you give me a link to such a thread.
I don't understand why fluid drops in air are not ellipsoidal since the air makes pressure vertically on everything submerged in it. The same apply for air's bubbles in water. Water makes pressure vertically and so the bubble should get an ellipsoidal form, but it doesn't.
Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
mgb_phys
Mar19-09, 05:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Surface tension balances the aerodynamic forces - mostly surface tension wins so the drops are almost spherical.
fluidistic
Mar19-09, 05:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
Surface tension balances the aerodynamic forces - mostly surface tension wins so the drops are almost spherical.
Thanks SO much!
If I find a fluid that has a little surface tension and I put it say in deep ocean (more than 10km under water surface) then I'd likely get an ellipsoidal bubble. if I understand well.

mgb_phys
Mar19-09, 05:44 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Why do fluid drops are sperical?

Well there is still the surface tension of the water because there is a surface around the bubble.
It would be interesting to know what shape 'raindrops' of other materials formed in air - say organic solvents or superfluid helium!

Register to reply