Register to reply

Coordinate transformation of contravariant vectors.

Share this thread:
trv
Apr19-09, 09:53 PM
P: 77
Note: The derivatives are partial.

I've seen the coordinate transformation equation for contravariant vectors given as follows,

V'a=(dX'a/dXb)Vb

What I don't get is the need for two indices a and b. Wouldn't it be adequate to just write the equation as follows?

V'a=(dX'a/dXa)Va

The prime being adequate to indicate the new and the unprimed the old, coordinates and contravariant vector. Or does the second index provide some more information which I am unaware of?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
slider142
Apr19-09, 10:06 PM
P: 905
The first equation has on the LHS a single component of V' while the RHS is a sum by summation convention over all the unprimed components.
[tex]V'^1 = \frac{\partial X'^1}{\partial X^1}V^1 + \cdots + \frac{\partial X'^1}{\partial X^n}V^n\\
\vdots
V'^m = \frac{\partial X'^m}{\partial X^1}V^1 + \cdots + \frac{\partial X'^m}{\partial X^n}V^n
[/tex]
Your equation is a single component and represents no sum, so it is not equivalent.
[tex]V'^1 = \frac{\partial X'^1}{\partial X^1}V^1
\vdots
V'^m = \frac{\partial X'^m}{\partial X^m}V^m[/tex]
It seems to state that the ath component of V' depends only on the ath component of V, which is usually not the case.
trv
Apr20-09, 10:13 AM
P: 77
Ok thanks, that makes sense now.

Register to reply