How to transmit video long distance for cheap

• Thread starter Epox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to transmit a composite video feed over a distance of 1 mile with physical barriers at a lower cost than pre-made systems, which can be quite expensive. They are also concerned about obtaining a license and avoiding interference.
Epox
I am looking to build or Gerry-rig up a system to transmit a composite video feed from a car over a distance of 1 mile with a fair amount of physical barriers between transmitter and receiver.

Pre-made systems that I've been able to find have been ridiculously expensive ($3k). So I'm looking for pointers on some information on building something myself or maybe some ideas on using some existing technology which could be easily procured for low cost to carry such a signal.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe you need to first obtain a licence; probably a ham license would suffice for 70 cm or 13 cm bands.

Transmitting over a mile requires considerable amount of power, and that just begs for interference. So, if you are going to construct such a transmitter, you need to make sure it doesn't produce interference.

There are a few different options for transmitting video over a long distance for a lower cost. One possibility is using a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver, which can transmit video up to 100 feet. You could potentially use multiple sets of these to cover the 1 mile distance, but this may not be the most efficient or cost-effective solution.

Another option is using a wireless video transmitter and receiver kit, which is specifically designed for long distance transmission. These kits use radio frequencies to transmit the video signal and can cover distances up to several miles. However, they may still be more expensive than your desired budget.

If you are looking for a more DIY approach, you could potentially use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board to build a wireless video transmitter and receiver. There are plenty of tutorials and resources available online for this type of project.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a directional antenna to improve the transmission distance and overcome physical barriers. This could be a more affordable option compared to purchasing a pre-made system.

Overall, it will require some research and experimentation to find the most cost-effective solution for your specific situation. I recommend consulting with other DIY enthusiasts and seeking advice from online forums and communities for further guidance.

1. How can I transmit video long distance for cheap?

There are several options for transmitting video long distance for cheap. One option is to use a video streaming service that offers affordable plans for long distance streaming. Another option is to use a video conferencing software that allows for long distance transmission at a lower cost. Additionally, you can also consider using a virtual private network (VPN) to reduce the cost of long distance video transmission.

2. What are some factors to consider when trying to transmit video long distance for cheap?

When trying to transmit video long distance for cheap, it is important to consider the quality of the video transmission, the reliability of the service or software being used, and any additional fees that may be associated with long distance transmission. It is also important to consider the bandwidth and internet speed available for the transmission.

3. Can I use a wireless connection for long distance video transmission?

Yes, you can use a wireless connection for long distance video transmission. However, the quality and reliability of the transmission may be affected by the strength of the wireless signal. It is recommended to use a wired connection for better quality and reliability.

4. How can I ensure the security of my video transmission for cheap?

To ensure the security of your video transmission for cheap, you can use a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your data and protect it from potential hackers. You should also make sure to use a reputable and secure video streaming service or software for your long distance transmission.

5. Can I use a mobile device to transmit video long distance for cheap?

Yes, you can use a mobile device to transmit video long distance for cheap. However, the quality and reliability of the transmission may be affected by the strength of the mobile network connection. It is recommended to use a stable and fast Wi-Fi connection for better quality and cost-effective transmission.