Reaction diffusion problem concentric spheres

In summary, the conversation is about trying to numerically solve a reaction-diffusion equation for the probability density of a pair of particles. The equation involves four variables and the speaker is seeking suggestions on how to reduce the problem to something more manageable. A possible solution offered is to work in the centre of mass frame if the forces between the particles are conservative.
scg08
Hello,

I am trying to (numerically) solve the following reaction-diffusion equation for the probability density of the a pair, [tex]\rho (\vec{r}_1,\vec{r}_2)[/tex]:

[tex]\dot{\rho} (\vec{r}_1,\vec{r}_2,t) = D_1 \nabla^2_1 \rho (\vec{r}_1,\vec{r}_2,t) + D_2 \nabla^2_2 \rho (\vec{r}_1,\vec{r}_2,t) - k \left( \left\| \vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2 \right\| \right) [/tex],

where the subscripts refer to the first and second particle, respectively. In 2D and polar coordinates, [tex]r_i[/tex] and [tex]\theta_i [/tex]:

[tex] \nabla^2_i = \frac{1}{r_i} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_i} r_i \frac{\partial}{\partial r_i} + \frac{1}{r_i^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta_i} [/tex].

The domain is confined by two concentric spheres: [tex] 0 \leq \left\| \vec{r}_1 \right\| \leq R [/tex] and [tex] \left\| \vec{r}_2 \right\| \geq R [/tex]. The initial condition are spherically symmetric, i.e. only depends on the [tex]r_i[/tex]s. The reaction term is a function of the distance of the two particles, i.e. in 2D [tex] k( \left\| \vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2 \right\| ) = k( \sqrt{r_1^2 + r_2^2 - 2 r_1 r_2 \cos ( \theta_1-\theta_2)} ) [/tex]. I hoped to get rid of at least 1 coordinate by a variable transformation and separation of variables. However, so far I just could not come up with a separable problem. Do I really have to retain all 4 variables? Any suggestions of how to reduce this problem to something manageable are highly welcome. Eventually I will be interested in 3D and 4D as well.

Thank you,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Just throwing idea.

If the forces between particles 1 and 2 are conservative, try working in the centre of mass frame. In mechanics we use this frame to solve the central force motion and scattering problem.

1. What is the reaction diffusion problem?

The reaction diffusion problem is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of chemical substances that diffuse and react with each other. It is used to study various phenomena such as pattern formation, diffusion processes, and chemical reactions.

2. How does the reaction diffusion problem apply to concentric spheres?

In the context of concentric spheres, the reaction diffusion problem refers to the diffusion of chemical substances between two concentric spheres. This can be used to model various physical and biological systems, such as the transport of nutrients and waste between cells in a spherical organism.

3. What are some real-world applications of the reaction diffusion problem?

The reaction diffusion problem has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model pattern formation in animal coats, the distribution of chemicals in cells, and the spread of diseases in a population, among others.

4. What are some methods used to solve the reaction diffusion problem?

There are several numerical methods used to solve the reaction diffusion problem, such as finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

5. How does the reaction diffusion problem contribute to scientific understanding?

The reaction diffusion problem is a powerful tool for studying and understanding complex systems in nature. By simulating the behavior of chemical substances and their interactions, scientists can gain insights into the underlying mechanisms that govern many natural phenomena, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields.