Is the Taylor polynomial for ln(1-x) the same as the one for ln(1+x)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Taylor polynomial for ln(1-x) and how it differs from the Taylor polynomial for ln(1+x). It is mentioned that the series for ln(1+x) converges for -1<x<1 and that ln(x) is not defined for x≤0. The conversation also touches on the topic of raising numbers to the power of 0, with 0^0 being an indeterminate form.
Schrodinger's Dog

Homework Statement

[itex]ln(1+x)=x-\frac{1}{2}x^2+ \frac{1}{3}x^3-\frac{1}{4}x^4+\frac{1}{5}x^5-... -1<\ x\ <1[/itex]

Is there a Taylor polynomial for ln(1-x) for -1< x <1, if so how would I go about working it out from the above?

This is not really a homework question just a thought I had, as they do it for other changes of sign. I just seem to be having a hard time figuring out how it would work for some reason? Any help appreciated. Are they all minuses for ln(1-x)? Or something else?

I'm sure I could just look it up on the web, but I'd like to see how it's done from (1+x)

I tried multiplying each x term by a - and got: [itex]-x+\frac{1}{2}x^2 -\frac{1}{3}x^3+\frac{1}{4}x^4-\frac{1}{5}x^5+...[/itex]

Is that right?

Be gentle with me I've only just started on this :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are NOT "multiplying each x by -1", you are multiplying the entire series by -1 so you really have -ln(1+x). If you multiply x by -1- that is, replace x by -x, the even powers of x do not change sign- you would have instead
[itex]ln(1+x)=-x-\frac{1}{2}x^2- \frac{1}{3}x^3-\frac{1}{4}x^4-\frac{1}{5}x^5-...[/itex]

Also, ln(x) is not defined for [itex]x\le 0[/itex] so the Taylor's series you give for ln(1+x) converges only for (-1, 1). (Since it is a power series it converges in some radius of convergence. The center is at x= 0, since it cannot converge for x= -1 (where ln(1+x)= ln(1-1)= 0) that radius is 1 and so it cannot converge for x> 1.) Since 1- x= 0 when x= 1 and ln(1-x) not defined for [itex]x\ge 1[/itex], The radius of convergence is still 1: the series converges for -1< x< 1 still.

Ah I see, I figured it might go something like that. But I also figured the limits were different because logs of negative numbers are not calculable, well not by calculator anyway.

Much appreciated. :smile:

The reason I thought they might be all minus is because the values of x between 0 and 1 in 1-x are all negative.

Last edited:
can you help me with a problem my dad set me?
he asked what to the power of 0 does not equal one? I am guessing its to do with expansions of logs. help would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

Just think of normal numbers. There is one number that when raised to the power 0 yields an indeterminate expression, any idea which one?

by normal do you mean real? and if you mean 0 then i thought that 0^0 still equals one

1. What is a Taylor Polynomial?

A Taylor Polynomial is a finite approximation of a function using a series of polynomial terms. It is derived from Taylor's Theorem, which provides a way to approximate any smooth function near a specific point (usually denoted as 'a') using the function's derivatives at that point. The polynomial's accuracy increases with the number of terms used.

2. How is the Taylor Polynomial for ln(1-x) Formulated?

The Taylor Polynomial for ln(1-x) is derived around a point, typically x = 0, using the derivatives of ln(1-x). The formula is given by ln(1-x) ≈ -x - x²/2 - x³/3 - ... - xⁿ/n for the nth-degree polynomial. This series is valid for -1 < x ≤ 1.

3. Why is the Taylor Polynomial for ln(1-x) Important?

This polynomial is significant in mathematics and physics for simplifying complex calculations involving the natural logarithm function, ln(1-x). It's used in numerical methods, calculus, and in solving differential equations where exact solutions are not feasible. It helps in understanding the behavior of ln(1-x) near x = 0.

4. How Do You Calculate Higher Derivatives of ln(1-x)?

To calculate higher derivatives of ln(1-x), use the general formula for the nth derivative, which is (-1)ⁿ⁺¹(n-1)!/(-x)ⁿ for n ≥ 1. These derivatives are then used to determine the coefficients of the x terms in the Taylor Polynomial.

5. What are the Applications of the Taylor Polynomial for ln(1-x)?

This polynomial has applications in various fields including engineering, physics, economics, and any other domain where approximation of logarithmic functions is required. It is particularly useful in series expansions, approximating integrals, and solving equations where ln(1-x) appears.

6. What are the Limitations of Using Taylor Polynomials?

While Taylor Polynomials are useful for approximations, they have limitations. The accuracy diminishes as you move further from the point of expansion (x = 0 in this case). Additionally, for functions with complex behavior or discontinuities, the approximation might not be accurate or applicable over a wide range of x-values.