Register to reply

Recommend calculus based physics book?

by astromom
Tags: based, book, calculus, physics, recommend
Share this thread:
astromom
Sep30-08, 06:59 PM
P: 4
I'm looking for recommendations for a calculus based physics textbook for my 11th grade daughter to use independently. She is taking AP Physics B at school and would like to self-study for the AP Physics C exam (probably only the mechanics part this year and then electricity and magnetism next year). Her goals are to do well on the AP exam and to learn the material well enough to have a solid foundation for a college physics/astrophysics major. She would likely not try to opt out of the first year college courses, but just be in a position to do well and possibly take an honors version.

There are many recommendations at Amazon, but so many different opinions that I'm having a hard time sorting them out. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
physicsnoob93
Oct3-08, 07:13 AM
P: 170
I think you asked the same on college confidential. I would recommend university physics by freedman.
astromom
Oct3-08, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a reply here, so I asked on college confidential. After re-reading the reviews at Amazon, it does sound like Young and Freedman will be a good fit.

qspeechc
Oct3-08, 01:28 PM
P: 792
Recommend calculus based physics book?

When I was in grade eleven I taught myself out of Lambe's "Advanced Level Applied Mathematics"- don't let the title fool you, it is a physics book. However, the book is from the 60's/70's and I am not sure f you are ok with this. It is modern and sufficient in its topics. The problems start at a good, non-trivial level, and build up to some very challenging questions. The examples are non-trivial too. Answers are given to every question, but not the solutions. I liked the book mainly for its problems, which really helped me grow; its exposition is not bad either. Worth having a look at.
Hippo
Oct3-08, 01:46 PM
P: 107
Physics for Engineers and Scientists
by Gebhard von Oppen and Frank Melchert

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Engine.../dp/0977858219
astromom
Oct3-08, 03:35 PM
Thanks, everyone. You've thrown a couple of new ones to consider into the mix. I hadn't heard of these last two. I'll look them up.
Dahaka14
Nov4-08, 09:44 PM
P: 73
if you are still looking on this forum, please strongly consider the two volume set of "Integrated Physics and Calculus"

I was in high school a couple of years ago, and I grew bored in my AP calculus AB class, so I decided to buy these books online (for very cheap), I didn't used to be very good at mathematics or physics, although I had a lot of intuition and motivation, I needed a big push, these books provided me with the stepping stone to higher levels of calculus and physics, and now I have become very successful in both mathematics and physics because I got the edge early, hope your search goes well!
Gaco
Nov8-08, 01:36 PM
P: 17
Check out Physics for Scientists And Engineers - A strategic apporach by Randall D. Knight. I really liked that one.
uet
Jul16-09, 11:48 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by qspeechc View Post
When I was in grade eleven I taught myself out of Lambe's "Advanced Level Applied Mathematics"- don't let the title fool you, it is a physics book. However, the book is from the 60's/70's and I am not sure f you are ok with this. It is modern and sufficient in its topics. The problems start at a good, non-trivial level, and build up to some very challenging questions. The examples are non-trivial too. Answers are given to every question, but not the solutions. I liked the book mainly for its problems, which really helped me grow; its exposition is not bad either. Worth having a look at.
i am engineering student and i havent got soid concepts of relations of physics how they r drived eg k.e=1/2mv^2 how this relation is drived what is dependent variable and what is independent variable in this eq further from eq we know k.e is propotional to v^2 now p=mv or m=p/v put in k.e eq we find k.e=1/2pv in this relation k.e is propotional to v but actually k.e is propotional to v^2 tell me some book that could explain each relation ship of physics using calculus and garaph further i am new on this site i dont know how i could get to repy send me the link or reply on mail adress
alimuhammadtariq@gmail.com thaks

Register to reply