Recommend calculus based physics book?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a calculus-based physics textbook for an 11th grade student preparing for the AP Physics C exam. Various suggestions are given, including University Physics by Freedman, Advanced Level Applied Mathematics by Lambe, Physics for Engineers and Scientists by von Oppen and Melchert, and Physics for Scientists and Engineers - A Strategic Approach by Knight. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the derivations and relationships between physics equations, as well as the use of calculus and graphs.
astromom
I'm looking for recommendations for a calculus based physics textbook for my 11th grade daughter to use independently. She is taking AP Physics B at school and would like to self-study for the AP Physics C exam (probably only the mechanics part this year and then electricity and magnetism next year). Her goals are to do well on the AP exam and to learn the material well enough to have a solid foundation for a college physics/astrophysics major. She would likely not try to opt out of the first year college courses, but just be in a position to do well and possibly take an honors version.

There are many recommendations at Amazon, but so many different opinions that I'm having a hard time sorting them out. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you asked the same on college confidential. I would recommend university physics by freedman.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I was going to get a reply here, so I asked on college confidential. After re-reading the reviews at Amazon, it does sound like Young and Freedman will be a good fit.

When I was in grade eleven I taught myself out of Lambe's "Advanced Level Applied Mathematics"- don't let the title fool you, it is a physics book. However, the book is from the 60's/70's and I am not sure f you are ok with this. It is modern and sufficient in its topics. The problems start at a good, non-trivial level, and build up to some very challenging questions. The examples are non-trivial too. Answers are given to every question, but not the solutions. I liked the book mainly for its problems, which really helped me grow; its exposition is not bad either. Worth having a look at.

Thanks, everyone. You've thrown a couple of new ones to consider into the mix. I hadn't heard of these last two. I'll look them up.

if you are still looking on this forum, please strongly consider the two volume set of "Integrated Physics and Calculus"

I was in high school a couple of years ago, and I grew bored in my AP calculus AB class, so I decided to buy these books online (for very cheap), I didn't used to be very good at mathematics or physics, although I had a lot of intuition and motivation, I needed a big push, these books provided me with the stepping stone to higher levels of calculus and physics, and now I have become very successful in both mathematics and physics because I got the edge early, hope your search goes well!

Check out Physics for Scientists And Engineers - A strategic apporach by Randall D. Knight. I really liked that one.

qspeechc said:
When I was in grade eleven I taught myself out of Lambe's "Advanced Level Applied Mathematics"- don't let the title fool you, it is a physics book. However, the book is from the 60's/70's and I am not sure f you are ok with this. It is modern and sufficient in its topics. The problems start at a good, non-trivial level, and build up to some very challenging questions. The examples are non-trivial too. Answers are given to every question, but not the solutions. I liked the book mainly for its problems, which really helped me grow; its exposition is not bad either. Worth having a look at.
i am engineering student and i haven't got soid concepts of relations of physics how they r drived eg k.e=1/2mv^2 how this relation is drived what is dependent variable and what is independent variable in this eq further from eq we know k.e is propotional to v^2 now p=mv or m=p/v put in k.e eq we find k.e=1/2pv in this relation k.e is propotional to v but actually k.e is propotional to v^2 tell me some book that could explain each relation ship of physics using calculus and garaph further i am new on this site i don't know how i could get to repy send me the link or reply on mail adress
alimuhammadtariq@gmail.com thaks

1. What is the best calculus-based physics book for beginners?

The best calculus-based physics book for beginners is "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It covers all the necessary topics in an easy-to-understand manner and provides plenty of practice problems.

2. Can you recommend a calculus-based physics book with a strong emphasis on problem-solving?

"Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker is a great choice for those who want to focus on problem-solving. It offers a wide range of challenging problems and detailed solutions to help students develop their critical thinking skills.

3. Are there any calculus-based physics books that are specifically designed for self-study?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman is a highly recommended book for self-study. It is written in a conversational style and covers all the core concepts of physics in a unique and engaging way.

4. What calculus concepts are necessary for understanding a calculus-based physics book?

A strong understanding of basic calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and differential equations is necessary for understanding a calculus-based physics book. It is also helpful to have a solid grasp of trigonometry and algebra.

5. Can you recommend a calculus-based physics book that covers modern physics topics?

"Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Thornton and Rex is a comprehensive book that covers both classical and modern physics topics. It includes in-depth coverage of topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics.