Color coded names?

by Vanadium 50
Tags: coded, color, names
Vanadium 50
Aug4-09, 06:22 AM
Mentor
P: 15,613
Hi everyone-

Can someone explain the color coding of names?
Black is "regular"
Orange is "gold" - people who have paid.
Green are the mentors.
People with lines through their names are...um...obvious.
What about black that's not bolded?
Oh, and Greg is blue.

Any others?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
cristo
Aug4-09, 06:47 AM
Mentor
P: 8,287
I think non-bold black are members who are "still awaiting email confirmation"-- either newbies, or other members who have changed their email address and not responded to the activation email.
D H
Aug4-09, 07:01 AM
Mentor
P: 14,462
Bold black is "regular". A few users are in non-bold black, same size font as everyone else. When we had feeds from sci.physics news groups the user names for messages posted to the news group by non PF members appeared as non-bold black in a smaller font and not underlined.

Edit
Cristo, thanks (post #2) (posts caught in the cross-fire)

Kurdt
Aug4-09, 07:33 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975

Color coded names?

Yes, non-bold members are those that are awaiting e-mail confirmation. Admins are blue BTW.
Borg
Aug4-09, 08:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 729
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
Hi everyone-

Can someone explain the color coding of names?
Black is "regular"
Orange is "gold" - people who have paid.
Green are the mentors.
People with lines through their names are...um...obvious.
What about black that's not bolded?
Oh, and Greg is blue.

Any others?
What are the strikethroughs?

Oops. I see it now.
jostpuur
Aug5-09, 04:48 PM
P: 1,983
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
I think non-bold black are members who are "still awaiting email confirmation"-- either newbies, or other members who have changed their email address and not responded to the activation email.
Either so, or then they are people who have not received an email confirmation request message from the physicsforums. You cannot deduce which has happened from the fact that a person has not responded with an email confirmation.
nvn
Aug10-09, 06:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
I think an underlined, nonbold, black font that also has a raised black line through the username (strikethrough) means the user is temporarily banned, permanently banned, deceased, or the user requested his/her account be deleted. I think a non-underlined, nonbold, black font without the strikethrough can also mean the user requested his/her account be closed but not deleted; I don't know if this font differs from the nonbold, black font mentioned in other posts, above.

I think only a black line below your username means you really exist, and are momentarily safe.
berkeman
Aug10-09, 06:44 PM
Mentor
P: 39,648
You don't get a line through your account for being deceased.
DaveC426913
Aug10-09, 08:21 PM
P: 15,325
When I was a child, I made my Lego creations (and some of them were awesome) with absolutely no regard for the colour of the bricks I'd use. I'm not sure it ever even occurred to me to try to colour-coordinate my models.

I had never noticed that the names have colours. I just went and checked. Mine is gold.

BTW, it gets more ironic. I am an artist and I spent ten years in photo processing, where colour differentiation is essential.
nvn
Aug10-09, 09:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
Does a username get a line through it if the account is inactive for a long time (but the user isn't deceased)?
lisab
Aug10-09, 10:31 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
So what if a long time member, usually bold, goes...pale...all of a sudden? Does that mean their email on record is no longer valid?
berkeman
Aug10-09, 11:41 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by nvn View Post
Does a username get a line through it if the account is inactive for a long time (but the user isn't deceased)?
I don't believe so. I haven't noticed that in old threads.
berkeman
Aug10-09, 11:42 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
So what if a long time member, usually bold, goes...pale...all of a sudden? Does that mean their email on record is no longer valid?
I think I know who you mean, and we don't need to go there right now.
NeoDevin
Aug10-09, 11:42 PM
P: 685
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
See here:

Quote Quote by cristo View Post
GeorginaS
Aug11-09, 12:24 AM
P: 379
Do we have to report ourselves to PF if we become deceased?
NeoDevin
Aug11-09, 12:30 AM
P: 685
Quote Quote by GeorginaS View Post
Do we have to report ourselves to PF if we become deceased?
In the scepticism and debunking forum.
Kurdt
Aug11-09, 06:26 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,975
Quote Quote by nvn View Post
Not usually.
Lisa!
Aug12-09, 09:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 971
I don't know whether it's mentioned or not but I guess the 1s who have disabled private messaging also have not-bold usernames!

Register to reply