Register to reply

Primes and the Geometric Distribution

by CTS
Tags: distribution, geometric, primes
Share this thread:
CTS
Jun7-04, 04:21 PM
P: 20
Given the probability of flipping a heads with a fair coin is [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex], what is the probability that the first heads occurs on a prime number?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
jcsd
Jun7-04, 04:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{p_n}[/tex]

where [itex]p_n[/itex] is the nth prime number.

Which gives a value of about 0.41468
AKG
Jun7-04, 04:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,586
Let {[itex]p_i[/itex]} be the sequence of primes. The probability you're looking for would be:

[tex]\sum _{i=1} ^{\infty} 0.5^{p_i}[/tex]

CTS
Jun7-04, 05:07 PM
P: 20
Primes and the Geometric Distribution

Yes, I realize that the answer is this summation ([tex]\sum _{primes} ^{} 1/2^p[/tex]), which clearly converges very quickly (to about .4146825...). Anyone have any ideas on whether the answer is irrational, or even expressable as a fraction of constants (like [tex]\sum _{n=1} ^{\infty} 1/n^2[/tex]. Anyone know anything else about [tex]f(x)=\sum _{primes} ^{} 1/x^p[/tex]?
jcsd
Jun7-04, 05:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I don't really know what more you want, if we wee able to ask your question precisely we'd be to busy polishing our Fields medals to post on Physics Forums.

We can say the series is convergant, but I don't think there's too much more we can say.
jcsd
Jun7-04, 05:31 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
There are alot of products and sums involving the nth primes that converge very quickly to a value, there are even somewhoe precise value can be known, but I'm pretty ceratin that this isn't one of them.
Gokul43201
Jun9-04, 05:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
If you had posted this question several centuries ago, I might have said:

"the sum approaches [tex]\sqrt{2} - 1 [/tex] but there is not enough room in this forum for me to prove it. "

and gotten away with that !

Register to reply