Books of mathematics for physics recommendation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding suitable mathematics books for someone interested in physics. The recommended book is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas, which focuses on applied mathematics rather than pure mathematics. It is suggested that the individual should have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra before diving into this book. There is also a mention of the importance of understanding mathematical proofs in order to become a successful physicist.
tomatoyeung
Hello~
Everyone~
I am a new member,
Nice to meet you~

I like physics and mathematics.
I don't care the mathematical theorem,
(Such as the limit theorem, I think which is not very useful in application)
but I want to know the mathematics for Physics.

Any books is suitable for me??
May I have your recommendation??

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you tell us what Mathematics courses you have completed (or will be working on this coming term)? imo you should at least be done with Calc I (limits & derivatives) , Calc II (integrals), Calc III (multivariate), and Introductory Differential Equations (ODE mainly)...and if possible a Linear Algebra course too.

Thank you for your reply.

I am a Hong Kong F.6 Student.
If follow the programme of HK .
I learned the calculate of limit(not the proof and detail theorem),
and the single variable derivatives and integrals.(haven't learn substitution yet)
I know the coming year will teach Linear Algebra,substitution etc.
I want to learn more by myself, but I want to skip the pure maths theorem (such as the detail proof of the limit theorem ,something like that).
I want to learn the maths which can directly applied on the actual problem.

I know that some books are written for physics and engineering.
Which do not include too many pure maths theorem.
Is any good choice in such types of books?

And I feel sorry for my poor English.

Thank you.

Physics needs mathematics like a poet needs English.

If you want to skip the proofs(which I won't recomend), that is up to you. However, Physical theorems are full of difficult mathematical proofs which are essential to understand. If you don't like this, don't be a physicist.

You should take an unabridged course in:
Calculus(differentiation, integration, multivariate, vector)
Linear Algebra(2-semesters worth. You should know both matrix stuff and advanced things like hermition/unitary operators.)
Advanced Calculus Course(Great for mathematical perspectiv

And then you can try watered down math.

Mathematical Methods in the Physics Sciences by Mary Boas seems to be what you're looking for.

Of course I have confidence in Maths.
I will try to pay more patience to finish the mathematical parts.

Thank you for the recommendation.

t00dles23 said:
Mathematical Methods in the Physics Sciences by Mary Boas seems to be what you're looking for.

I second this. Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas has a lot of math and it is very light on proofs. This is the exact book you are looking for.

1. What are the best books for learning mathematics for physics?

There are many great books for learning mathematics for physics, but some popular recommendations include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematics for Physicists" by Philippe Dennery and Andre Krzywicki, and "Mathematical Physics" by Robert Geroch.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for self-study of mathematics for physics?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are designed for self-study of mathematics for physics. Some examples include "A Guide to Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Michèle Levi and J. David Logan, and "Mathematics for Physics: An Illustrated Handbook" by Adam Marsh.

3. What are some good introductory books for beginners in mathematics for physics?

For beginners in mathematics for physics, some recommended books are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematics for the Physical Sciences" by Leslie Copley, and "Mathematics for Physics: A Guided Tour for Graduate Students" by Michael Stone and Paul Goldbart.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on advanced mathematical concepts relevant to physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover advanced mathematical concepts relevant to physics. Some examples include "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Carl M. Bender and Steven A. Orszag, "Mathematical Tools for Physics" by James Nearing, and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists: A Comprehensive Guide" by George Arfken and Hans Weber.

5. Are there any online resources or interactive textbooks available for learning mathematics for physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and interactive textbooks available for learning mathematics for physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and "Mathematics for Physics: An Interactive Introduction" by Michael Stone and Paul Goldbart.