Register to reply

Can the magnitude of vector be negative?

by Red_CCF
Tags: magnitude, negative, vector
Share this thread:
Red_CCF
Sep18-09, 09:14 PM
P: 504
Recently I was told that scalars, although magnitude only, can be negative. Does this mean that the magnitude of a vector can be negative too?

Also, I'm wondering if there's a difference between the absolute value and magnitude of a vector like -3i-4j. Thanks for any help that you can provide
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
emyt
Sep18-09, 09:29 PM
P: 218
no, the magnitude of a vector is computed by sqrt(x1^2 + ...... xn^2)
jtbell
Sep18-09, 09:43 PM
Mentor
P: 11,779
Quote Quote by Red_CCF View Post
Also, I'm wondering if there's a difference between the absolute value and magnitude of a vector like -3i-4j. Thanks for any help that you can provide
I say "absolute value" only when I'm talking about a number, and "magnitude" when I'm talking about a vector. I don't know if it's actually incorrect to say "absolute value of a vector." Nevertheless, I don't think there's any chance you would confuse people by saying "absolute value of a vector," because I can't think of anything else besides the magnitude that it could be interpreted to mean.

emyt
Sep18-09, 09:49 PM
P: 218
Can the magnitude of vector be negative?

the absolute value of a vector is the "norm"
DrGreg
Sep19-09, 07:14 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,847
The magnitude (a.k.a. norm or length) ǁaǁ of a vector a is a scalar and is always positive (or zero).

But there are scalars that are not magnitudes of vectors and they can be negative. (For example the scalar product (a.k.a. dot product or inner product) of two vectors a.b).

Register to reply