Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
symbolipoint
Oct13-09, 02:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,692
That appears to be redox so you could start from the individual half-cells and balance first for the electrons. A sensible result might still be found just using balancing of numbers of atoms using the unbalanced reactants and products.

Try this: You see 3 chlorines on the left, and you see only 1 chlorine on the right. What must you do about this? What does this do the your balance of hydrogens? What more or next can you do?
the pro
Oct14-09, 06:32 AM
P: 43
Quote Quote by symbolipoint View Post
That appears to be redox so you could start from the individual half-cells and balance first for the electrons. A sensible result might still be found just using balancing of numbers of atoms using the unbalanced reactants and products.

Try this: You see 3 chlorines on the left, and you see only 1 chlorine on the right. What must you do about this? What does this do the your balance of hydrogens? What more or next can you do?
i now this i made this but the problem is at (B) i cant balance this but i need to make this with an oxidation and reducation sorry for my english .i tryed this also with valenc numbers but it dosent work

Borek
Oct14-09, 06:47 AM
Admin
P: 22,683

Help need to balance it

B is neither reduced nor oxidized, BCl3 just hydrolyses. The only redox here is hydrogen peroxide decomposition. This can be classifed as disproportionation reaction.

--
methods
the pro
Oct14-09, 08:24 AM
o.0 thanks got it now u right borek about BCl but i was thinkin of the preoxid and HCl about their valenz but i have it now
symbolipoint
Oct14-09, 09:44 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,692
The linewrapping distracted me and I analyzed the reaction incorrectly. At my end, the H3 ended the line and the next stuff continued on a new line and I mistook what was seen. Not very careful thinking.
the pro
Oct14-09, 10:27 AM
Quote Quote by symbolipoint View Post
The linewrapping distracted me and I analyzed the reaction incorrectly. At my end, the H3 ended the line and the next stuff continued on a new line and I mistook what was seen. Not very careful thinking.
yeh i now thats why i said it needs to be done with a oxido reduction beacuse it dident worked in this form

Register to reply