Advice for a returning student

by MEStudent
Tags: advice, returning, student
Share this thread:
MEStudent
Dec21-09, 03:34 PM
P: 1
Hello,

I am seeking advice as I continue my education towards a bacholers degree in Mechanical Engineering. I am a returning student at the "old" age of 26 and since my studies before returning to school were in communications, mostly only electives, humanities, and a few core credits are going towards my ME degree. So I have about 3 1/2 to 4 years left before graduation. It's that long, because as a returning student I haven't actively practiced mathematics for several years, so I am starting with college algebra and taking pre-calc, and pre-chem as well, which are not on the degree's course requirements. It adds time and money, but I want a solid foundation, not just a passing grade.

So, here's my concern and why I posted this here, rather than in the academic section. I am concerned about being 30 when I graduate and being competitive for a job with the younger candidates. I have no applicable job experience, just regular jobs, and in addition I have been a stay-at-home dad for the last couple years, and will probably continue to be for the next year or two. As I approach graduation I plan to take any internships I can to gain valuable experience. So my question is, what things can I do throughout my education, inside or outside of school to make myself a more desireable candidate to employers? And secondly, would it be advised in my situation to continue right through to a masters degree? I suppose some of these concerns may be premature. I'll admit to some of these concerns coming from my first semester back being older than most seniors! However, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Sorry for any errors, my toddler picked off half the keys on the keyboard! Thanks everybody!

-MEStudent
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Andy Resnick
Dec21-09, 05:53 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,513
Honestly, I wouldn't stress about your age. If anything, you may find that you are one of the better students due to your 'life experience' contributing to a certain ability to focus.

I have lots of 'nontraditional' students in my class. Almost without exception, they are more diligent, more focused, and more eager simply because they *chose* to go back to school, rather than just go to school because they didn't have any better ideas.

Register to reply