Register to reply

Integration of sin^2(x)

by planck42
Tags: integration, sin2x
Share this thread:
planck42
Dec25-09, 09:35 PM
P: 82
Could somebody please check my work on the integration of [tex]sin^{2}x dx[/tex]? Thank you for your time.

First step: Complexify the function in order to make straight integration possible

[tex]\sin x=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

[tex]\sin^{2}x=-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{e^{2ix}+e^{-2ix}}{4}[/tex]

Second step: Integrate the complex function

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}\int{2+e^{2ix}+e^{-2ix} dx} = -\frac{1}{4}(2x+\frac{e^{2ix}}{2i}-\frac{e^{-2ix}}{2i}+C)[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{However,} \frac{e^{2ix}-e^{-2ix}}{2i} = \sin(2x), \mbox{so}[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{4}(2x+\frac{e^{2ix}}{2i}-\frac{e^{-2ix}}{2i}+C) = -\frac{\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)+x}{2}+C, \mbox{which appears to be the answer. Can it survive the derivative test?}[/tex]

Third step: Take the derivative of [tex]-\frac{\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)+x}{2}+C[/tex] and see if it equals [tex]\sin^{2}x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(-\frac{\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)+x}{2}+C)=-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)=-\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2x))=-\cos^{2}x \mbox{, which is the answer less one.}[/tex]

Where is the error in the above process?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
fourier jr
Dec25-09, 10:06 PM
P: 948
I don't think it's that complicated. I would just use the identity [itex]\sin^2x = \frac{1}{2}(1 - \cos2x)[/itex]. that's probably what I would use if I had to reduce (& integrate) any even power of sin or cos, since [itex]\cos^2x = \frac{1}{2}(1 + \cos2x)[/itex]. look at all the other trig identities on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trig_identities
D H
Dec25-09, 10:13 PM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Quote Quote by planck42 View Post
Could somebody please check my work on the integration of [tex]sin^{2}x dx[/tex]? Thank you for your time.

First step: Complexify the function in order to make straight integration possible

Check this step again. Does this agree with the identity

[tex]\sin^2 x = \frac {1-\cos 2x}2[/tex]

HallsofIvy
Dec26-09, 05:10 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,568
Integration of sin^2(x)

Quote Quote by planck42 View Post

You have a sign error.
[tex]\left(\frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}\right)^2= -\frac{1}{4}\left({e^{2ix}- 2+ e^{-2ix}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}- \frac{e^{2ix}+ e^{-2ix}}{4}[/tex]

Second step: Integrate the complex function

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}\int{2+e^{2ix}+e^{-2ix} dx} = -\frac{1}{4}(2x+\frac{e^{2ix}}{2i}-\frac{e^{-2ix}}{2i}+C)[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{However,} \frac{e^{2ix}-e^{-2ix}}{2i} = \sin(2x), \mbox{so}[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{4}(2x+\frac{e^{2ix}}{2i}-\frac{e^{-2ix}}{2i}+C) = -\frac{\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)+x}{2}+C, \mbox{which appears to be the answer. Can it survive the derivative test?}[/tex]

Third step: Take the derivative of [tex]-\frac{\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)+x}{2}+C[/tex] and see if it equals [tex]\sin^{2}x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(-\frac{\frac{1}{2}\sin(2x)+x}{2}+C)=-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\cos(2x)=-\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2x))=-\cos^{2}x \mbox{, which is the answer less one.}[/tex]

Where is the error in the above process?
planck42
Dec26-09, 08:14 AM
P: 82
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
You have a sign error.
[tex]\left(\frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}\right)^2= -\frac{1}{4}\left({e^{2ix}- 2+ e^{-2ix}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}- \frac{e^{2ix}+ e^{-2ix}}{4}[/tex]
Wow. What a simple error to overlook. So the final answer is
[tex]-\frac{1}{4}\sin(2x)+\frac{1}{2}x+C[/tex] which does differentiate to [tex]\sin^{2}x[/tex]

Thank you.
amaresh92
Dec27-09, 03:14 AM
P: 162
the expansion for sin(x) which you have used is for hyperbolic function of sin(x) .
hyperbolic function of sin(x) is sin(hx).
HallsofIvy
Dec27-09, 05:09 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,568
No, he has used the correct formula:
[tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

The corresponding formula for sinh(x) is
[tex]sinh(x)= \frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}[/tex].
amaresh92
Dec27-09, 10:33 AM
P: 162
can u explain the formula from where it is derived
D H
Dec27-09, 11:00 AM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Euler's formula,

[tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i\sin x[/tex]

Register to reply