Register to reply

Book [Special relativity]

by edpell
Tags: book, relativity, special
Share this thread:
edpell
Dec28-09, 01:11 PM
P: 451
I think I need a good book(s) on SR. Please let me know which you think are good. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
xantox
Dec28-09, 03:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 247
* E. F. Taylor, J. A. Wheeler, “Spacetime Physics“, W. H. Freeman (2nd edition, 1992).
* A. P. French, “Special Relativity“, W. W. Norton & Company (1968).
* W. Rindler, “Introduction to Special Relativity“, Oxford University Press (2nd ed. 1991).
edpell
Dec29-09, 02:03 PM
Thank you xantox

bcrowell
Dec29-09, 05:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,597
Book [Special relativity]

I second xantox's suggestion of Taylor and Wheeler. French is 40 years out of date, and that's a long time, especially when it comes to the connection with experiment; it predates some the classic, conceptually direct tests of SR that I think are the best pedagogically (Hafele-Keating's atomic clocks on airplanes, and the CERN high-precision muon decay experiment). IMO French's style is dull and cumbersome.
George Jones
Dec29-09, 08:22 PM
Mentor
P: 6,246
I third Taylor and Wheeler, but I like the (red) paperback version of the first edition. I forget why I prefer the first edition over later later edition(s) (I have compared editions). I prefer the paperback version over the hardcover version of the first edition because the paperback edition has solutions (not just answers) to the problems. My battered and beaten copy (I got it while in high school) is in the bottom left of

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...89#post1897989.

Another introduction to special relativity that I really like is A Traveler's Guide To Spacetime: An introduction to the Special Theory of Relativity by Thomas Moore. Moore's book is maybe a little easier to read than Taylor and Wheeler.
Daverz
Dec31-09, 05:00 AM
P: 900
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
I third Taylor and Wheeler, but I like the (red) paperback version of the first edition. I forget why I prefer the first edition over later later edition(s)
No rapidity in the 2nd edition.

To the books already mentioned, I'd add N. David Mermin's Space and Time in Special Relativity. This was updated (or watered down depending on your perspective) as
It's About Time: Understanding Einstein's Relativity.
Doc Al
Jan1-10, 08:55 AM
Mentor
P: 41,475
Quote Quote by Daverz View Post
To the books already mentioned, I'd add N. David Mermin's Space and Time in Special Relativity. This was updated (or watered down depending on your perspective) as
It's About Time: Understanding Einstein's Relativity.
I'll second the recommendation for both of Mermin's books. They sit side by side on my shelf.
edpell
Jan1-10, 11:39 AM
Thanks all. I anxiously await my Amazon delivery.
Heidi M
Jan1-10, 02:26 PM
P: 13
Definitely John A. Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics"
Heidi M
Jan1-10, 02:43 PM
P: 13
Also, Richard Wolfson's "Simply Einstein: Relativity Demystified"

Register to reply