AlephZero
Mar15-07, 10:49 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
Quote Quote by Mitra View Post
Does the boundary layer of turbulent flow over plate reach a constant value?
If so how are boundary layer displacement and boundary layer displacement thickness obtained?
No it doesn't reach a constant thickness. Look up the standard solution for flow over an infinite flat plate.

At least, thats what the standard theory says. It's usually safe to bet that CFD theories don't fit ALL the experimental facts, though.
Mitra
Mar15-07, 01:10 PM
P: 12
I still don't know if it is possible to have a “fully developed turbulent flow” over plate?
berkanozturk
Feb22-09, 04:30 PM
P: 2
Hello there, I would like to ask you a question.
I have two pipes which are parallely connected. I have a constant TOTAL FLOW which is divided into two.
Diameter1 > Diameter2 and now, when I increase Diameter1 (in order to decrease PRESSURE LOSS), my velocity is decreasing such that it will decrease (Velocity * Diameter) the Re in the first pipe.
My question is: I have steady state flow, fully developed, and laminar. Pipe lengths are equal and temperature is constant. Can I say that (given that Qtotal is constant and I am only changing D1) when I decrease pressure loss by increasing diameter, Re number is decreasing. So, shear stress distribution is decreasing as well!
or, when I increase reynolds number by decreasing Diameter 1, Pressure loss is increasing, and shear stress distribution is increasing?

I have a final presentation tomorrow morning. I am really confused about this result actually.

Hope somebody will answer.
berkan
banerjeerupak
Jan6-10, 06:11 PM
P: 123
how is fully developed flow related to the stream function of the flow?
banerjeerupak
Jan7-10, 07:21 AM
P: 123
Ψ=4y-((1/3) y^3)

This is the stream function i'm referring to here.

Register to reply