Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
waht
Jan5-10, 01:28 PM
P: 1,636
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
-7 deg C and it is TOO COLD? Where do you live, Bora-Bora?
Borek-Borek, I should have been more clear. For the outdoor activity I had in mind was running a couple miles on the trail, but inhaling too much chilled air from a vigorous exercise can have some unforeseen health effects on the immune system. Other than that the temperature is not that bothersome.
xxChrisxx
Jan5-10, 01:45 PM
P: 2,032
Quote Quote by Jonathan Scott View Post
Here in central southern England (near Southampton), we've got snow tonight, but so far here it's melting immediately here as we are a whisker above freezing. Only a few miles to the east (towards Portsmouth), traffic is now at a standstill because of heavy snow, and there's a "severe weather warning" for most of the area around here warning of a foot of snow overnight, which would be the most in this area since about 1963. However, Southampton and its immediate vicinity are now excluded from this warning, much the annoyance of my kids, who were hoping to be off school and playing in the snow tomorrow.

Our infrastructure here down in the south can't handle snow, as it's not considered a worth-while investment to cope with once-in-a-decade weather conditions. Major routes will be salted and gritted, but we don't have snow ploughs or similar in this area and smaller roads will be very difficult, especially where there is any slope. If there is snow, most schools in the area will close. However, I work from home, so I'd still be working as normal.
7 inches (ish) in Manchester and it's only just stopped snowing, and to boot they ran out of grit. Good times.
turbo
Jan5-10, 02:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
We got hammered by a storm that took two passes over us. It started Friday with some moderate snow as the storm moved along the coast heading north east, then the snow moved up from the coast a bit and began backing over us (to the West) for another pass. We had wind conditions Saturday similar to a low-grade hurricane, with blowing snow that finally turned to light rain by Sunday, just to make the clean-up even more difficult. The ski-areas are happy. I am not. Our last two winters have been much warmer than normal (very few sub-zero days) with a LOT more snow, and it looks like we might be on-track for another one. 4-5 years ago and longer, people were practically giving away snowmobiles or mothballing them because the cold, dry winters didn't result in enough snow to ride them.

It's hard to judge just how much snow we got from Friday to Sunday, due to the blowing, drifting, etc, and the compaction from the rain. Suffice it to say that you aren't a native of Buffalo or Oswego, you would say we got a LOT.
hypatia
Jan5-10, 04:15 PM
P: 1,296
I have been freezing cold sense New Years day. Highs have been -6 C for the day time. But night time with clear skies and wind, has become deadly cold.
We are really low on snow this year, we should already have 9 or more inches fall, with around 45 inches for the season. We have only had 3, leaving ski areas to make snow.
starjar
Jan5-10, 06:09 PM
P: 6
IT get's even colder every year. A friend of mine in Hawaii said there temp drops half of a degree every year below normal.
rewebster
Jan6-10, 11:21 AM
P: 880
I've been hearing the 'reports' of 4 to 6 inches of snow in the next day or so here with highs of 11 F for Fri and Sat and lows of 0 plus wind.
Moonbear
Jan6-10, 04:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
It's been bitter cold and snowing here all week. More snow forecast tomorrow and Friday. We're actually getting lake effect snow! I didn't know that WV GOT lake effect snow! Darn blowhard Canadians!

I'm sick and tired of having to get up at 5:30 AM just so I have time to shovel the driveway before I have to get to work...which of course requires leaving an extra half hour early to navigate the snowy/icy roads too.

A couple weeks of temperatures where they are is not unusual for this time of year, but the constant snow sure is!
Klockan3
Jan7-10, 05:14 AM
P: 614
Quote Quote by waht View Post
Borek-Borek, I should have been more clear. For the outdoor activity I had in mind was running a couple miles on the trail, but inhaling too much chilled air from a vigorous exercise can have some unforeseen health effects on the immune system. Other than that the temperature is not that bothersome.
Um, you are wrong, there is nothing dangerous about running when it is cold except that you might slip. Or else every cross country skier would have all ruined their immune system, and everyone else living in a colder place than you do.

What you should make sure of is to dress down a bit when you run so you don't get soaked, and immediately when you stop you should dress up again to avoid letting your body temperature drop, that is bad.
cristo
Jan7-10, 05:47 AM
Mentor
P: 8,287
Quote Quote by Jonathan Scott View Post
Our infrastructure here down in the south can't handle snow, as it's not considered a worth-while investment to cope with once-in-a-decade weather conditions.
I agreed with this last year when London was brought to a stand still by the snow, but now that it's happened again to the rest of the country within about 9 months, I think it's time we reviewed our policy on "once a decade" weather management.
espen180
Jan7-10, 06:12 AM
P: 836
Temperatures are in the -20 to -25 C area here in Norway. I can handle it, but I'm hoping it doesn't drop below -30 C.
Evo
Jan7-10, 05:32 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958
I am so tired of this cold!!! Just letting my dog out to do his *thing* is downright painful. Even breathing through my nose, my lungs hurt. Thank goodness he's very fast, no messing around.
rootX
Jan7-10, 05:40 PM
P: 1,295
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8445831.stm

I am glad that I am not living in Oymyakon.

(It has been around -4 to -20 degree C but not much bad)
Dembadon
Jan7-10, 05:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 638
It was -15 F (-21 F with windchill) here around the 20th of last month -- at 10AM! The rest of the week was single digits. Temperatures are now in the twenties during the day. I am looking forward to warmer weather as well.
dlgoff
Jan7-10, 05:57 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I am so tired of this cold!!! Just letting my dog out to do his *thing* is downright painful. Even breathing through my nose, my lungs hurt. Thank goodness he's very fast, no messing around.
I have an old outdoor cat that I had to let in today and probably tomorrow too. She's about 12 or 13 years old and has never been "house broken" (if that's possible) and I don't own a kitty litter box. What should I expect in the morning?

I wasn't able to go to work today because of 4 foot drifts down our 1/4 mile drive. Thank god for PF. At least I won't go crazy the next couple of days.
lisab
Jan7-10, 06:10 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by rootX View Post

I am glad that I am not living in Oymyakon.
Me too, because I can't pronounce it .
Evo
Jan7-10, 06:19 PM
Mentor
P: 25,958
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
I have an old outdoor cat that I had to let in today and probably tomorrow too. She's about 12 or 13 years old and has never been "house broken" (if that's possible) and I don't own a kitty litter box. What should I expect in the morning?

I wasn't able to go to work today because of 4 foot drifts down our 1/4 mile drive. Thank god for PF. At least I won't go crazy the next couple of days.
Can you confine the cat to the kitchen or some other similar area so you can limit the bathroom options?
rootX
Jan7-10, 06:25 PM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Me too, because I can't pronounce it .
"non-freezing water" might be a better name?
lisab
Jan7-10, 06:29 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post

Cats are naturally house broken, they will seek out a place with sand, dirt, litter, etc. Find a shallow box and put some dirt in it...if the dirt is frozen and it won't shovel, improvise. Try shredded newspaper, maybe. I'm sure PFers will have other ideas.

Good for you for taking in an old cat on such a wicked cold night !

Register to reply