Integrate exp(-x^2), dx

by Nimrod
Tags: expx2, integrate
Share this thread:
Nimrod
Jun14-04, 01:43 PM
P: 2
hi all,

i've tried to solve this thing with Derive, but it gave me some vague erf(x) function (error function??). Is there some gosu-mathematician who can help me solve the integral?

[tex] \int exp(-x^2) dx [/tex]

tnx
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Gokul43201
Jun14-04, 02:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
There is no analytic form to the gaussian integral. You need to look up values in the erf table for definite integrals.
Nimrod
Jun14-04, 02:54 PM
P: 2
ah, that clarifies a lot, thank you.

NSX
Jun14-04, 03:43 PM
P: 65
Integrate exp(-x^2), dx

Tom did this using double integration here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...t=25798&page=2

Have fun!

Quote Quote by Tom Mattson
This integral can be done the same way that the integral of exp(-x2) can be done. First, write the integral of x2exp(-x2) from zero to infinity. Then write the integral of y2exp(-y2) from zero to infinity (they're both exactly the same as your integral). Now multiply the integrands together double integrate over x and y. When you convert to polar coordinates, you will get an integral that can be done by parts. Just don't forget to take the square root at the end.

Note:

x2y2=r4sin2(θ)cos2(θ)
x2+y2=r2
dx dy=rdr dθ
master_coda
Jun14-04, 03:58 PM
P: 678
Quote Quote by NSX
Tom did this using double integration here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...t=25798&page=2

Have fun!
Remember, that that only works for solving certain definite integrals.
NSX
Jun16-04, 10:46 PM
P: 65
Quote Quote by master_coda
Remember, that that only works for solving certain definite integrals.
Why's that?
Nexus[Free-DC]
Jun16-04, 11:29 PM
P: 37
It's the limits of integration that count here. Say you're trying to integrate a hard function, but there's a neat little trick for working out the integral from zero to infinity. That trick probably won't help you if you're integrating from, say, 1 to 5.729.
theFuture
Jun17-04, 07:25 AM
P: 80
When I first did that integral (the trick way with the nice limits) I thought it was the neatest thing.
Perinhas
Jul9-04, 02:11 PM
P: 1
Hello to you all,

i've tried hard to solve this problem related with the wind resources, but so far like Tom Mattson said in is post, i solved the problem to k=2, but i can't solve it to any k>0!!!

integrate exp(-(x/C)^k), dx with k>0 and C>0

Is there anyone willing to help me ????

Perinhas.

Register to reply