Register to reply

Analysis, Proof about, f being continuous, bijective

Share this thread:
Robert IL
Feb28-10, 07:33 PM
P: 4
Let f: R[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R be a non-decreasing function. Suppose that f maps Q to Q and f: Q[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Q bijection. Prove that f: R[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R is continuous, one to one and onto.

Hello everyone, I have been staring at this statement for a while now and I just don't understand it, hence I can't even begin to prove it. Can someone explain to me in different words what am I being asked to do. Is f the same same function and Q[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Q is somehow "inside" R[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R. I don't understand how f could be the same if R and Q don't have the same cardinality, or in other words-I am lost. Any type of help is greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
VeeEight
Feb28-10, 07:43 PM
P: 610
f maps Q to Q means that if q is in Q, f(q) is also in Q.
I am assuming (unless otherwise noted) that Q stands for the rationals.
Robert IL
Feb28-10, 07:45 PM
Yes, Q=rationals, R=reals; but how and why is mapping of Q to Q relevant here, since I am later asked about map of function R to R?

VeeEight
Feb28-10, 07:48 PM
P: 610
Analysis, Proof about, f being continuous, bijective

It is relevant because it is a critical hypothesis for the problem. You are also given that f is non decreasing and that f restricted to Q is a bijection. Think about what the map f restricted to Q looks like. Where does f(q) go to?

Now, where does f map the irrational points to?
Robert IL
Feb28-10, 07:56 PM
Since I=irrationals are uncountable and so are reals I guess we could create a bijection between the two (not sure if I am correct here), but I suppose I would be mapped to R.
some_dude
Feb28-10, 08:30 PM
P: 93
Ah, I deleted my previous post, what I said was incorrect!. But... let me try to be more helpful: try this outline of a proof (if you like):

1) show that the restriction of f to Q is continuous (treat Q as a metric space on its own and apply the epsilon delta definition).

2) show that there exists a unique extension of f:Q->Q to f:R->R such that f is continuous on R (proving this is fairly easy via contradiction).

3) show that f being non-decreasing on Q and continuous on Q implies it is this candidate function (step 2 isn't entirely necessary, but it should help provide a lot more intuition to make this last leap).

I'm quite drowsy, so if something sounds confusing tell me.
Robert IL
Feb28-10, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term "unique extension" what do you mean by that?
some_dude
Feb28-10, 08:50 PM
P: 93
Quote Quote by Robert IL View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term "unique extension" what do you mean by that?
Oh no prob. An extension of a function f:Q->Q to a function g:R->R is g such that for every x in Q, f(x) = g(x).

Register to reply