IN MANAGEMENT 0 0%
IN COMPUTER SCINECE 0 0%
INDUSTRY JOB AFTER PhD IN MANAGEMENT 0 0%
INDUSTRY JOB AFTER PhD IN COMPUTER SCINECE 0 0%
ACADEMICIAN AFTER PhD IN MANAGEMENT 0 0%
ACADEMICIAN AFTER PhD IN COMPUTER SCINECE 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Phd in Computer science OR Information technology OR in Management Subject?

by upadhyaya
Tags: mgmt or comp sci, phd
Share this thread:
upadhyaya
Mar4-10, 09:26 AM
P: 3

PLEASE GUIDE ME...
MY PROFILE IS
>> BACHELORS IN ENGINEERING [INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY]--FROM INDIA
>> 1.5 YRS OF INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE AS SOFTWARE PROGRAMMER [SMALL SIZE FIRM]
>> M.B.A [MARKETING AS MAJOR SUBJECT AND HUMAN RESOURCES AS MINOR SUBJECT] --FROM INDIA
NOW EM IN USA ON SPOUSE VISA SO CANNOT GET JOB HERE.
I WANNA DO PhD FROM ANY GUD UNIVERSITY IN U.S.A. ,GUIDE WHICH ONE WILL BE MORE LUCRATIVE AND EASY TO DO ,PhD IN MANAGEMENT OR COMPUTER SCIENCE MY CGPA IS 6.4 OUT OF 7 THROUGH OUT FROM B.Tech TO M.B.A
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
story645
Mar4-10, 09:39 AM
P: 670
Quote Quote by upadhyaya View Post
PhD IN MANAGEMENT OR COMPUTER SCIENCE
Comp sci is more lucrative and more practical. As far as I know a phd in management is kind of like a phd in teaching; it's all about studying the processes and methods (industrial/organizational psychology) and is way on the academic side of the field, so it's not particularly sought for in hires. As to which is easier? They're incomparable 'cause they're so different.
upadhyaya
Mar4-10, 12:25 PM
P: 3
thankx for the prompt reply.

but the problem with CS is tat its a continuously changing branch where new softwares keep on coming and going,wat r the chances tat my phd wil nt xpire with time?
second wat r the chances of getting job in industry with my phd in competition with people with no phd but with hefty work ex.
wat r the chances of job in industry after phd in management?

story645
Mar4-10, 04:50 PM
P: 670
Phd in Computer science OR Information technology OR in Management Subject?

Quote Quote by upadhyaya View Post
but the problem with CS is tat its a continuously changing branch where new softwares keep on coming and going,wat r the chances tat my phd wil nt xpire with time?
You're messing up comp sci. with industry programming trends. A comp sci phd is about exploring different fields of computer science or using cs skills in a new applied way; even if the language isn't used much anymore, you'll still retain all those skills and be able to put them to good use in some field. If your phd expired, it wasn't worth much in the first place. I'll give you an example: A lot of my research is basically number crunching on vast swaths of data. I mostly use python, which is the cool trendy language, but if python goes out of fashion or the company uses a different language, I can still do all my number crunching 'cause I know the math and I know how to learn new languages. The language/software/etc. is basically just a tool to get the research done, it shouldn't define the research. This is even true of thesis that involve new langauge design, 'cause the language is always just the prototype of whatever ideas the person was studying.

second wat r the chances of getting job in industry with my phd in competition with people with no phd but with hefty work ex.
Depends on the field. Some jobs require a phd, others lots of work experience; which jobs you get will be as much a function of what you apply for as anything else.

wat r the chances of job in industry after phd in management?
Can you code? I don't think a phd in management is gonna help you in any way shape or form unless you want to be a management consultant.

Register to reply