Register to reply

Atlantis' Existence and Place On Earth

by BL4CKCR4Y0NS
Tags: atlantis, plato
Share this thread:
BL4CKCR4Y0NS
Mar10-10, 12:13 AM
P: 61
(sorry if this is in the wrong section, or if this does not belong on these forums)

A friend of mine told me a while back that although the location of Atlantis is unknown, it is likely that it existed in the middle of the Seven Wonders of the World. (I naturally assumed he meant the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World because Atlantis "disappeared" long before the Medieval/Modern times)

I was just wondering whether there was any significant evidence that suggests this.

(and if anybody knows, could they please post a short description of what Atlantis is and who Plato is? All I know if that Atlantis was an island and Plato was a philosopher)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
Ivan Seeking
Mar10-10, 12:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
I believe the only known Atlantis claims come from Plato. There is no conclusive historical evidence supporting these claims. Many people believe the story is fiction.
Andre
Mar10-10, 02:21 AM
P: 5,460
That's correct, some more information.

Atlantis is only mentioned in Plato's Timaeus and Critias and claims that the story is told by Solon, who heard it from an Egyptian priest. Plato's dating (9000 years before Solon's visit) brings it very close to the very turbulent end of the Younger Dryas, but this is likely just a coincidence.

The detailed describtions of the place don't lead to any existing area, hence Atlantis has been located just about everywhere on the globe. But then again, the original manuscripts have disappeared a long time ago and discussions about correct interpretations are ongoing.

One of the many speculations is that Atlantis is a fiction based on the invasions of the sea peoples and that Solon may have seen the inscriptions about that history in the Medinet Habu temple.

CEL
Mar10-10, 05:25 AM
P: 639
Atlantis' Existence and Place On Earth

For a good skeptical analysis of Atlantis myth see:
http://www.skepdic.com/atlantis.html
waht
Mar10-10, 11:31 AM
P: 1,636
There is evidence of volcanic eruptions and there is an ancient city dug out from ashes on one of Greek's hundreds of islands, forgot what's it called.

If there was ever an origin of the story of Atlantis, it could have been an island off Greece, wiped out by volcanic eruptions. Then as usual, myths and legends follow saying it was a super advanced civilization bigger than Africa and what not.
mgb_phys
Mar10-10, 11:37 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
The theory is that it was based on the Minoan civilsation on Crete who were rather spectacularly inconvenienced by the tsunami following Santorini erupting around 1500BCE
waht
Mar10-10, 01:45 PM
P: 1,636
Minoan settlement on Santorini:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrotiri_%28Santorini%29

Akrotiri is the name of an excavation site of a Minoan Bronze Age settlement on the Greek island of Santorini, associated with the Minoan civilization due to inscriptions in Linear A, and close similarities in artifact and fresco styles[1]. The excavation is named for a modern Greek village situated on a hill nearby. The name of the site in antiquity is unknown. It was buried by a volcanic eruption in the middle of the second millennium BC[2] (during the Late Minoan IA period). As a result, it is remarkably well-preserved. Frescoes[3], pottery, furniture, advanced drainage systems and three-storey buildings have been discovered at the site
KrisOhn
Mar10-10, 02:02 PM
P: 271
Quote Quote by waht View Post
There is evidence of volcanic eruptions and there is an ancient city dug out from ashes on one of Greek's hundreds of islands, forgot what's it called.
You wouldn't be referring to the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD would you?
Vesuvius

I know the dates and places are quite off, but there's a chance, since you don't know the name and there is a massive excavation going on in the cities destroyed by that eruption.
Cryptonic
Mar12-10, 04:32 PM
P: 42
Atlantis is probably as real as Troy or Sodom & Gomorrah... In other words, it probably existed. I saw a convincing doccumentary that placed it in the Andes. An archeological site with concentric "moats" and a central temple/city etc.
Evo
Mar12-10, 05:56 PM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Quote Quote by Cryptonic View Post
Atlantis is probably as real as Troy or Sodom & Gomorrah... In other words, it probably existed. I saw a convincing doccumentary that placed it in the Andes. An archeological site with concentric "moats" and a central temple/city etc.
I would say that a city in the mountains of South America would be an unlikely spot.
MotoH
Mar12-10, 07:21 PM
P: 237
Quote Quote by Cryptonic View Post
They have found a massive wall that is believed to be the city of Troy.
BL4CKCR4Y0NS
Mar12-10, 07:29 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I would say that a city in the mountains of South America would be an unlikely spot.
I'm just saying here, I'm not criticising your statement but I just wanted to know, why do you think that it's unlikely?
Evo
Mar12-10, 07:44 PM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Quote Quote by BL4CKCR4Y0NS View Post
I'm just saying here, I'm not criticising your statement but I just wanted to know, why do you think that it's unlikely?
Because there is no record of trade or travel between South America and Greece back then.
CEL
Mar13-10, 03:13 AM
P: 639
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Because there is no record of trade or travel between South America and Greece back then.
Especially the Pacific side of South America.
But the Atlanteans were supposedly so advanced, that they could have built the Canal of Panama, twelve thousand years ago, when the rest of the humans were just discovering agriculture.
BL4CKCR4Y0NS
Mar13-10, 03:21 AM
This is making me more and more curious about Atlantis ... where can I read what Plato wrote about it?
Sacnoth XIII
Mar17-10, 10:04 PM
P: 1
This is making me more and more curious about Atlantis ... where can I read what Plato wrote about it?
In the link they gave you above.

http://www.skepdic.com/atlantis.html
________

Also, you all should know some myths have been proven to be based loosely on facts: city of Troy for example now that you mentioned.

A Spanish scientist made a theory about Atlantis and says it's possible it was placed on Spain. He is going to publish his book in the next days. It seems Solon, Plato's ancestor and one of the seven greek sages according to Pausanias, had Spanish ancestry. Maybe he got the legend from them.

Sorry about my English, my first language is Spanish.
DaveC426913
Mar17-10, 10:34 PM
P: 15,319
...it is likely that it existed in the middle of the Seven Wonders of the World...
As a tangent to the Atlantis question, I kind of wonder what the above means.

The Seven Wonders of the World were fairly recently designated, they are all over the world, and I don't know how anything could be "in the middle of" them.
hamster143
Mar18-10, 06:08 AM
P: 986
Quote Quote by CEL View Post
Especially the Pacific side of South America.
But the Atlanteans were supposedly so advanced, that they could have built the Canal of Panama, twelve thousand years ago, when the rest of the humans were just discovering agriculture.
There's also no evidence of interbreeding between Greeks and natives of South America. Those are some of the most genetically distant human populations on Earth and signs of interbreeding should be clear.

Register to reply