Register to reply

An intuitive explanation to the Killing equation?

Share this thread:
kvf
Apr11-10, 12:02 PM
P: 2
Hello,

Your forum was very helpful in giving intuitive geometric explanations to various concepts from differential geometry, so I was hoping you could perhaps help me with the following.
I'm interested in Killing vector fields. I understand that a tangent vector field X is a Killing vector field if the Lie derivative of the metric with respect to X is 0 - this has some geometric meaning.
On the other hand, the Killing equation is specified in terms of the covariant derivative of X, and one reaches this equation by manipulating the Lie derivative condition. My question is: is there some intuitive (geometric) explanation to the Killing equation?

Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
bndnchrs
Apr11-10, 07:45 PM
P: 29
I think the easiest way to explain it is by what Wikipedia has:

A Killing field is one where when you move points along the field, distances are preserved.

So distances are not distorted when you'e got a Killing field.
kvf
Apr11-10, 07:55 PM
P: 2
Thank you bndnchrs, but I was looking for an intuitive explanation as to why the Killing equation, given in terms of the covariant derivative, implies that the deformation generated by a Killing vector field preserves distances.

For example, the definition using the Lie derivative (the Lie derivative of the metric = 0), means the metric does not change, and so the deformation preserves distances.
But why does the Killing equation imply the deformation preserves distances?

Register to reply