Register to reply

Sigma-algebra generated by a function

by cappadonza
Tags: function, generated, sigmaalgebra
Share this thread:
cappadonza
May12-10, 04:37 AM
P: 27
suppose we have a [tex] X = [0,1] [/tex] and a function [tex] f\colon X \to \Re [/tex] where
[tex] f(x) = 1 - |2x -1| [/tex].
i'm bit confused on finding the sigma-algebra generated by this function. This is what i did

[tex] f(x)= \begin{cases}
2 -2x & x \in [\frac{1}{2},1] , \\
2x& x \in [0, \frac{1}{2})
\end{cases}
[/tex]

so then is the sigma-algebra [tex] \sigma(f(x)) = \mathcal{B}([\frac{1}{2},1] \bigcup \mathcal{B}([0, \frac{1}{2}) = \mathcal{B}([0,1]) [/tex] ?

some thing about this doesnt feel quite right to me, could someone show me where i have made a mistake.
Also what is a systematic way or method of finding the sigma-algebra generated by a function.
the i do it is find the pre-image of the function of any open set in [tex] \Re [/tex] it far to easy for me to make mistakes when doing it this way. are alternative methods ?

any comments, help much appreciated
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
cappadonza
May13-10, 11:30 AM
P: 27
i think i may have figured it out. i graphed the function [tex] f(x) [/tex] and realised it was symmetrical, [tex] f(x) = f(1-x) \, x \in [0,1][/tex] i then realised to find to generated sigma-field [tex] \sigma(f(x)) = \{ f^{-1}(B) \colon B \in \mathcal{B} \} [/tex] the inverse image for any borel set is the union of two intervals in [0,1] since the function symetrical.
[tex] \sigma(f(x) = \{[\frac{1}{2},1] \bigcap \{1-\frac{B}{2} \colon B \in \mathcal{B} \} \bigcup [0, \frac{1}{2}] \bigcap \{\frac{B}{2} \colon B \in \mathcal{B} \} [/tex]
where [tex] 1-\frac{B}{2} = \{ 1-\frac{x}{2} \colon x \in B\} [/tex]

This seems right to me, since the sigma-algebra contains 'coarser' sets that those contained in [tex] \mathcal{B}([0,1]) [/tex]

Register to reply