Register to reply

Finding E(X) from distribution function

by kingwinner
Tags: distribution, function
Share this thread:
kingwinner
May17-10, 04:04 PM
P: 1,270
Theorem: Let F(x) be the distribution function of X.
If X is any r.v. (discrete, continuous, or mixed) defined on the interval [a,∞) (or some subset of it), then
E(X)=

∫ [1 - F(x)]dx + a
a

1) Is this formula true for any real number a? In particular, is it true for a<0?

2) When is this formula ever useful (computationally)? Why don't just get the density function then integrate to find E(X)?

Thanks for clarifying!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Hurkyl
May17-10, 04:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,091
1) If there was a restriction on a, the statement of the theorem should have said something. If the statement is right for positive a, then it's surely right for negative a as well.

2) Why would you go through all the trouble of looking for the density distribution*, multiplying by x, and integrating that when you could just use that formula?

*: The hypotheses cover the situation where the density cannot be written as a function
Mandark
May17-10, 04:25 PM
P: 41
The formula for general RV X is [tex]EX = -\int_{-\infty}^{0} F(x) dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} (1 - F(x)) dx[/tex]. This formula works in a much more general setting than you might expect. Some distributions don't have densities (singular distributions), for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_distribution but the formula still applies.

kingwinner
May18-10, 02:33 AM
P: 1,270
Finding E(X) from distribution function

Quote Quote by Mandark View Post
The formula for general RV X is [tex]EX = -\int_{-\infty}^{0} F(x) dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} (1 - F(x)) dx[/tex]. This formula works in a much more general setting than you might expect. Some distributions don't have densities (singular distributions), for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_distribution but the formula still applies.
I've seen this general formula. But does it imply that the "theorem" above is true for a<0 (e.g. a=-2, or a=-2.4) as well? I've done some manipulations and I think the theorem above is true for ANY a, but I would like someone to confirm this.

Thanks!
Mandark
May18-10, 04:47 AM
P: 41
Try to prove it by manipulating the general formula I posted, it's not hard.

Register to reply