Anti-Homosexuality in Africa

by Gokul43201
Tags: anti-gay, evangelical, homosexuality, uganda
Share this thread:
zomgwtf
May28-10, 10:46 AM
P: 500
Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
Seriously? We are going to lump in all evangelical Christians with the few radicals who claim the title?
This would be like saying all Catholics are pedophiles, or all Muslims are terrorists.
No, Evangelical beliefs automatically come with no-nonsense acceptance of the bible. They believe the bible is infallible and everything in the gospels is to be followed exactly as is. So yes, they are against gays because it says so in the bible. They believe that dinosaurs existed alongside man, they believe that the Earth is quite young.

Your comparisson is wrong because part of being Catholic doesn't involve the belief in being a pedophile, and part of being Muslim doesn't require the belief of being a terrorist. Part of being an Evangelical Christian however requires 100% acceptance of the bible as infallible. The bible is also at the highest point of authority in their lives. If you've ever read the bible you can quickly see why this would be considered as 'poison' and 'intolerance'.
mgb_phys
May28-10, 10:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,954
Quote Quote by zomgwtf View Post
If you've ever read the bible you can quickly see why this would be considered as 'poison' and 'intolerance'.
I heard there was a 'new' sequel out by some guy that was all about the meek and sinners and how you shouldn't cast the first stone.
Perhaps we could club together and get a few sent out to these people, should be a simple 'mission'.
zomgwtf
May28-10, 11:00 AM
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
I heard there was a 'new' sequel out by some guy that was all about the meek and sinners and how you shouldn't cast the first stone.
Perhaps we could club together and get a few sent out to these people, should be a simple 'mission'.
I don't think the amount of 'right' sequels that are 'new' would be able to fit in their churches.
Pattonias
May28-10, 11:04 AM
P: 378
The Bible doesn't require its followers to hate a sinner either. The Bible doesn't require its followers to hate a sinner either. Without getting into a religious discussion on this website, I can say firmly that just like any other religion certain people take their own interpretation of the Bible and somehow think that they can pass out the judgement that God is supposed to have reserved for himself.

While I have my own issues with the bible and many who are in the church, I can tell you that most people that are evangelicals would be upset and against the imprisonment or execution of a person for being a homosexual.

If you choose to associate these people with the entire church then that is your won opinion, but it doesn't show an accurate representation of the people in the church. his website, I can say firmly that just like any other religion certain people take their own interpretation of the Bible and somehow think that they can pass out the judgement that God is supposed to have reserved for himself.

While I have my own issues with the bible and many who are in the church, I can tell you that most people that are evangelicals would be upset and against the imprisonment or execution of a person for being a homosexual.

If you choose to associate these people with everyone else who claims to be evangelical then that is your own opinion.
zomgwtf
May28-10, 11:21 AM
Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
The Bible doesn't require its followers to hate a sinner either. The Bible doesn't require its followers to hate a sinner either. Without getting into a religious discussion on this website, I can say firmly that just like any other religion certain people take their own interpretation of the Bible and somehow think that they can pass out the judgement that God is supposed to have reserved for himself.

If you choose to associate these people with the entire church then that is your won opinion, but it doesn't show an accurate representation of the people in the church. his website, I can say firmly that just like any other religion certain people take their own interpretation of the Bible and somehow think that they can pass out the judgement that God is supposed to have reserved for himself.

If you choose to associate these people with everyone else who claims to be evangelical then that is your own opinion.
Indeed and the varying interpretations of the bible are what give Christianity its 10s of thousands of different sects. Evangelical being a major one and it has a 'set' interpretation of the bible as set out in the churches. If a person doesn't agree with that interpretation then that doesn't mean that's not what Evangelical beliefs are it means that they probably aren't truly Evangelical Christian. Of course this doesn't take into account that Evangelical churches vary in their beliefs as well but the overlaying belief system has to do with authority of the bible and the infallibility of the bible(as they accept it).

Just as an aside are you going to provide another reaonable explanation for what was being discussed?
Proton Soup
May28-10, 04:31 PM
P: 1,070
No, Evangelical beliefs automatically come with no-nonsense acceptance of the bible. They believe the bible is infallible and everything in the gospels is to be followed exactly as is. So yes, they are against gays because it says so in the bible. They believe that dinosaurs existed alongside man, they believe that the Earth is quite young.

Your comparisson is wrong because part of being Catholic doesn't involve the belief in being a pedophile, and part of being Muslim doesn't require the belief of being a terrorist. Part of being an Evangelical Christian however requires 100% acceptance of the bible as infallible. The bible is also at the highest point of authority in their lives. If you've ever read the bible you can quickly see why this would be considered as 'poison' and 'intolerance'.
evangelical simply means that you believe in preaching your beliefs and converting others to your faith. catholicism is certainly evangelical, as is islam.
TheStatutoryApe
May28-10, 10:53 PM
P: 1,550
I would imagine the strongest push for this is the prevalence of AIDS and the strongly perceived association between AIDS and homosexuals.
Geigerclick
May28-10, 11:04 PM
P: 101
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
I would imagine the strongest push for this is the prevalence of AIDS and the strongly perceived association between AIDS and homosexuals.
That, or just the same issues the rest of the world seems to have. Being different doesn't pay sometimes, especially in a world of intolerant and ignorant bastards.
TheStatutoryApe
May29-10, 11:22 PM
Quote Quote by Geigerclick View Post
That, or just the same issues the rest of the world seems to have. Being different doesn't pay sometimes, especially in a world of intolerant and ignorant bastards.
There are certainly the normal factors at work most likely. Considering though that efforts to contain the spread of AIDS in Africa have been only mildly effective and it has been commonly perceived as a "homosexual disease" the fact that they wish to pass a law making homosexuality a crime punishable by death, especially if one has AIDS, seems to make more sense. Not "make sense" as in its a good idea but "make sense" in that they would consider it a good idea.
magpies
May29-10, 11:27 PM
P: 229
Ok so I guess I shouldn't have said what I did here but I was just in rage at this whole concept. I don't think people should go to jail over this regardless of if aids does spread via it.
TheStatutoryApe
May30-10, 12:10 AM
Quote Quote by magpies View Post
Aids and homosexuality do go hand and hand...
This is a fairly stereotypical idea. There is a higher incidence of AIDS among homosexuals. There is also a higher incidence of AIDS among IV drug users, blacks, and prostitutes. Whites are not terribly far behind blacks in incidents of AIDS so perhaps we should consider it to go hand in hand with white people too? Or just black people since they have a larger portion of the statistical pie?
http://www.avert.org/usa-statistics.htm
magpies
May30-10, 12:46 AM
Not that I trust thouse stats but it looked like most people who got aids got it from sex with men...
Geigerclick
May30-10, 12:53 AM
P: 101
It would be fairer to say that the #1 risk factor is being female, followed by any kind if anal intercourse. The misapprehension about homosexuality largely comes from the patient 0 of HIV, and how it was initially spread. If you go through life acting as though this is a "gay disease", you'll regret it however.
magpies
May30-10, 01:01 AM
Well the cdc says 60% of aids comes from homosexual activity and only 15% from non gay sex. So that says to me that unless your doing drugs or having gay sex your chances of getting aids is fairly low. At least in america. My gripe wasn't really about homosexual activity is was more for the mind set that you can have sex with anyone you want when ever and not have to worry. I have heard from just about anyone who to my knowledge says they gay openly that they more or less agree with doing anything and anyone for pleasure. So again my point is it's the care free attitude that is the risk factor imo.

Like I personally have almost no chance of getting aids as I don't do drugs or have sex with people I don't know arnt safe. However if I go to down town and pick up a random man and have sex with him my chances just went up a ton wouldn't you agree?
Phrak
May30-10, 03:22 AM
P: 4,513
good grief. Is anyone going to bring up the topic of anal sex as primary cause, or is this off limits on PF? Why is AIDS associated with homosexuals? Is the homosexual lobby so powerful we are made so drooling stupid? Why is AIDS not associated with heterosexuals, lesbians or even hookers? AIDS is far more likely to be passed by anal sex. Africans have a real problem as they kill each other via infindelity, birth control by anal sex, homosexuality, and casual sex. This lastest act by Ugandan law makers demonstrates desperation.
zomgwtf
May30-10, 03:27 AM
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
good grief. Is anyone going to bring up the topic of anal sex as primary cause, or is this off limits on PF? Why is AIDS associated with homosexuals? Is the homosexual lobby so powerful we are made so drooling stupid? Why is AIDS not associated with heterosexuals, lesbians or even hookers? AIDS is far more likely to be passed by anal sex. Africans have a real problem as they kill each other via infindelity, birth control by anal sex, homosexuality, and casual sex. This lastest act by Ugandan law makers demonstrates desperation.
To be passed through unprotected sex PERIOD. I haven't seen any studies suggesting anal sex leads to a greater probability but it probably does exist. (read: could you cite your source please) I think the greater culprit is the amount of reckless unsafe sex habits found in the gay community.

As well it was talked about I'm quite sure but some posts had ended up getting deleted, not for inappropriatness of talking about sex and such though for other comments in them. (I think at least)
Phrak
May30-10, 03:33 AM
P: 4,513
To be passed through unprotected sex PERIOD. I haven't seen any studies suggesting anal sex leads to a greater probability but it probably does exist. (read: could you cite your source please)
Desperate, aren't you? It's not a popular topic, and you will have to do some work to find knowledge that anyone can acquire motivated to find it. Let's add the disparity of casual sex favoring homosexuals vs. heterosexuals, and we have both a pandemic and a sexual orientation war. Have your buds been lying to you. How does that make you feel? Maybe they aren't your friends.
zomgwtf
May30-10, 03:37 AM
Quote Quote by Phrak View Post
Desperate, aren't you? It's not a popular topic, and you will have to do some work to find knowledge that anyone can acquire motivated to find it. Let's add the disparity of casual sex favoring homosexuals vs. heterosexuals, and we have both a pandemic and a sexual orientation war. Have your buds been lying to you. How does that make you feel?
I don't get it... are you trying to say I'm gay??? Or that I have protected anal sex cause my 'buds' tell me it's ok or something??? I don't understand what the point of this post is at all and I'm kinda surprised that a long standing member of PF would post this non-sensical crap.

Register to reply