Selecting Motor for Load: Min Torque Req'd?

In summary, the person is seeking help in choosing a motor to drive their load. They are not sure about the motor characteristics given in torque and are looking to determine the minimum torque required to rotate their load. They mention using T=rFsin(theta) but are unsure how it applies to their system and also mention the gear configuration providing extra torque. They ask for more specific information and mention the use of Microstepping to simulate a sine wave curve. They clarify that there will not be any pulleys involved and the vertical shaft will hold the satellite receiver.
vengeful
Here's my problem, I want to choose a motor to drive my load but I'm not sure about those choices as motor characteristics are given in torque. I want to know what is the MINIMUM Torque required to be able to rotate my load. I thought about T=rFsin(theta), but not sure how it would apply to my system. The gear configuration should also provide me with some extra torque, so all I want to know what would the minimum be??

Attachments

• Satellite.JPG
    Satellite.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 442
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have not given enough information to calculate torque or any other parameter necessary for motor selection.

What is your arrangement? This figure shows that you are only going to rotate a shaft. Aren't there pulley's and other stuff? Because more the mass is distributed along the axis more will be the starting torque required. So you should be a little specific.

I admit reading it again, maybe I was a little vague. The extra parameters you would be talking about would be the speed that I would wan to move at? If so, that would be hard to say as I would be sending a variable PWM signal, the actual term is called Microstepping- where I simulate as close as possible to a sine wave curve, this would give me a smoother operation so the theory says. Anyway if there are other parameters, please point me in the direction, so I could get them and do any necessary calculations.

I don't think that there will be any pulleys or anything else, the vertical shaft is what will be holding my satellite receiver, and to me it seems the simplest solution to just attach the receiver dish via a bracket of some sort to the shaft that rotates.

What is the minimum torque required for a motor to handle a load?

The minimum torque required for a motor to handle a load depends on the specific load and its characteristics, such as weight, friction, and inertia. It is important to carefully assess the load and calculate the minimum torque required to ensure the motor can properly handle it.

How do I calculate the minimum torque required for a specific load?

To calculate the minimum torque required for a specific load, you will need to determine the total resistance the load will experience, including weight, friction, and inertia. This can be done by measuring or estimating these factors and using a torque calculation formula, or by using load testing equipment.

What factors should I consider when selecting a motor for a load?

When selecting a motor for a load, you should consider the type and characteristics of the load, such as weight, speed, and required torque. You should also consider the operating environment, available power source, and any additional features or functions needed for the motor to properly handle the load.

What are the consequences of selecting an inadequate motor for a load?

Selecting an inadequate motor for a load can result in various consequences, such as the motor being unable to move the load, overheating and potentially causing damage or failure, and decreased efficiency and performance. It is important to carefully select a motor that can properly handle the load to avoid these consequences.

How can I ensure I select the right motor for a load?

To ensure you select the right motor for a load, you should carefully assess the load and its characteristics, calculate the minimum torque required, and consider the motor's specifications and features. It is also helpful to consult with experts or use motor selection software to ensure the best match for your specific load.