Third force in general relativity

In summary, General relativity introduces a correction term to the Newtonian calculation which can be viewed as a "third force" that affects the elliptical orbit of a particle, causing precession. However, in the context of GR, gravity is not considered a force but rather a consequence of the coordinate system. The quote mentioned in the conversation may be referring to the effective potential in GR, which has three terms including the inverse fourth power term responsible for the precession of objects like Mercury.
YangMills

Homework Statement

I was researching relativity, and stumbled across this:

"General relativity introduces a third force that attracts the particle slightly more strongly than Newtonian gravity, especially at small radii. This third force causes the particle's elliptical orbit to precess..."

Is this accurate? If so, how does it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
it introduces a correction term to the Newtonian calculation which I guess you could view as a "third force" and this is responsible for the precession of the perihelion of Mercury etc.

Now I'm kind of curious what the first two 'forces' are. Doing gravitation in GR doesn't even usually involve talking about 'forces' except in a perturbative sense. It's all geodesics, isn't it?

Yes, that is exactly what perplexes me. In the context of general relativity, gravity is not a force, in the same way that there is no centrifugal force: it is a consequence of the coordinate system. Of course, this quote was from Wikipedia, but I've been following it for quite some time and have not seen it amended.

It's probably what latentcorpse said. You can cast the GR solution as a 'correcting' force to the force of gravity. But even in Newtonian theory, there's only one 'force', that's gravity. Centrifugal 'force' is not a force, it's an acceleration. I think you understand the issue. Probably best not to be overly concerned with what Wikipedia says.

I am not sure where the quote is coming from, but the effective potential of an object orbiting a point source in GR does have three terms. Differentiate and you get a total force with three contributions:

1. Inverse square (Newtonian gravity)
2. Inverse cube (Centrifugal force)
3. Inverse fourth power (GR "correction")

The thread has implied it, but I think this is where the talk of a "third" force is coming from. The first two produce the standard elliptical orbit and the third is a kind of perturbation causing precession. This is a poor-man's way to calculate the precession of Mercury, etc.

dulrich said:
3. Inverse fourth power (GR "correction")

Ah. That explains the dominance of GR at small radii.

1. What is the Third Force in general relativity?

The Third Force in general relativity is a hypothetical force that has been proposed to explain the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. It is thought to act in opposition to gravity and dark energy, causing the universe to expand at an increasingly faster rate.

2. How does the Third Force affect objects in the universe?

The Third Force is thought to have a repulsive effect on objects in the universe, causing them to move away from each other at an accelerated pace. This is in contrast to the attractive force of gravity, which causes objects to be pulled together.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of the Third Force?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of the Third Force. Its existence is still a subject of debate among scientists, and further research and observations are needed to confirm its existence.

4. What are some proposed explanations for the Third Force?

One proposed explanation for the Third Force is the presence of a new particle called the "quintessence." This particle would interact with dark matter and dark energy to create the repulsive force. Another theory suggests that the Third Force is a manifestation of the effects of extra dimensions in the universe.

5. How does the existence of the Third Force impact our understanding of the universe?

If the Third Force is proven to exist, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. It would also require a reevaluation of current theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, to incorporate this new force.