Register to reply

A question about water flow rate

by alwindawee
Tags: flow, rate, water
Share this thread:
alwindawee
Sep23-10, 06:00 PM
P: 5
Hi all, I'm doing a experiment at home I'm trying to know how the flow rate on the water height that tossed from a nozzle with 3mm of diameter.

By an other word if there is a relationship between flow and the height please some one explain it to me.

Also I wana to know if the head pressure if the water height that tossed from a nozzle.

thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
russ_watters
Sep23-10, 08:29 PM
Mentor
P: 22,224
The height the water will go to is a function of the pressure at the exit only. The pressure determines the velocity, which determines the height.
nvn
Sep23-10, 09:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,121
alwindawee: Perhaps try thread 368030, posts 4 and 6.

alwindawee
Sep24-10, 02:29 AM
P: 5
A question about water flow rate

thanks, russ.

thank you too nvn, I have read the post but did not reach what I need, I think if I explain the problem a little more you could help so this what the problem.

I wana the water go for the desired height and want to know how much flow rate and how much head (Q and H) needed so I can choose the right pump.

And this is the way I imagined the matter:

I applied this formula "s=s0+(v0*t)+(0.5*a*t^2)" and solved for v0 supposing that:

s0=0 ............. at the nozzle.
t=1s ............. I suppose that water reach the desired height in 1s.
a=9.81 .......... the acceleration due to gravity.

finding v0 which is the initial velocity the water tossed with from the nozzle.

Then applying the formula "Flow Rate = 0.25 * pi * (pipe diameter)^2 * velocity"

solving for flow rate I'll find the needed flow rate so I can select the pump.

and for the Head Pressure (H) as I know we can determine the needed H approximately by measuring the distance from the spot that the pump stands to the nozzles tossing hole.

this is the way I calculate things, if it's wrong please help me and by the way I'm a electronic engineering student but like mechanics.

thanks for you response again.

Register to reply