a question about water flow rate

by alwindawee
Tags: flow, rate, water
alwindawee
Sep23-10, 06:00 PM
P: 5
Hi all, I'm doing a experiment at home I'm trying to know how the flow rate on the water height that tossed from a nozzle with 3mm of diameter.

By an other word if there is a relationship between flow and the height please some one explain it to me.

Also I wana to know if the head pressure if the water height that tossed from a nozzle.

thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
russ_watters
Sep23-10, 08:29 PM
Mentor
P: 21,999
The height the water will go to is a function of the pressure at the exit only. The pressure determines the velocity, which determines the height.
nvn
Sep23-10, 09:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
alwindawee: Perhaps try thread 368030, posts 4 and 6.

alwindawee
Sep24-10, 02:29 AM
P: 5

a question about water flow rate

thanks, russ.

thank you too nvn, I have read the post but did not reach what I need, I think if I explain the problem a little more you could help so this what the problem.

I wana the water go for the desired height and want to know how much flow rate and how much head (Q and H) needed so I can choose the right pump.

And this is the way I imagined the matter:

I applied this formula "s=s0+(v0*t)+(0.5*a*t^2)" and solved for v0 supposing that:

s0=0 ............. at the nozzle.
t=1s ............. I suppose that water reach the desired height in 1s.
a=9.81 .......... the acceleration due to gravity.

finding v0 which is the initial velocity the water tossed with from the nozzle.

Then applying the formula "Flow Rate = 0.25 * pi * (pipe diameter)^2 * velocity"

solving for flow rate I'll find the needed flow rate so I can select the pump.

and for the Head Pressure (H) as I know we can determine the needed H approximately by measuring the distance from the spot that the pump stands to the nozzles tossing hole.

this is the way I calculate things, if it's wrong please help me and by the way I'm a electronic engineering student but like mechanics.

thanks for you response again.

Register to reply