YOU!: Fix the US Energy Crisis

by russ_watters
Tags: crisis, energy
mheslep
Aug31-10, 05:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Quote Quote by Topher925 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of right-wing nonsense to me.
Do you believe the source above, Dr. Dorothy Robyn, current deputy under secretary of defense, is a big right wing nutter?
All of the issues mentioned can be easily overcome by just knowing where the wind turbines are.
Location knowledge doesn't trivialize the problem.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=wind+...8ef3750cf3a29c
brainstorm
Aug31-10, 05:59 PM
P: 1,117
Sounds like a bunch of right-wing nonsense to me. All of the issues mentioned can be easily overcome by just knowing where the wind turbines are. This sounds a lot like the "We need to stop making hybrid cars because blind people can't hear them" argument.
Blind people can't hear hybrid cars? Maybe they need bigger bass speakers.
Ivan Seeking
Aug31-10, 06:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
Make the wind turbines stealthy.
russ_watters
Aug31-10, 09:28 PM
Mentor
P: 22,010
Quote Quote by brainstorm View Post
Blind people can't hear hybrid cars? Maybe they need bigger bass speakers.
That is one potential solution, yes.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...cars-too-quiet
Topher925
Sep20-10, 08:38 PM
P: 1,672
Found this seminar thing from bill gates and thought it was worth sharing.

brainstorm
Sep20-10, 11:39 PM
Very inspirational speech. CO2=PxSxExC: nice clarity. The only thing I wonder is why do these kind of speeches always build up to suggesting more spending? Why doesn't anyone ever base their visions of progress on the idea that necessity will breed innovation? It seems to me that every time loads of money get thrown at change, the result is more spending on the status quo. How much money was invested in hydrogen and electric cars before it all culminated in cash4clunkers? How much has been spent on improving the energy efficiency of buildings and what has changed in terms of climate control practices? I would have expected many elegant designs for open-air work and consumption spaces. I would have expected to see more light vehicles with sun/rain canopies but no a/c. I would have expected to see cooperation between employers and city planners to move employers and employees closer together to promote pedestrian commuting. How much stimulus money does it take to initiate these kinds of innovations? Or is the truth that the stimulus was only ever intended to maintain cash flows at levels that would preserve the status quo of paying current utility costs, maintaining current machinery, paying off current mortgages, and renovating current infrastructure for current commuting patterns?
OmCheeto
Sep21-10, 12:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,370
Never heard of a U-238 reactor before.

I'll check it out and get back to you.

(ten seconds later)

Oops. Never mind. Wiki says it's true:

U-238 can, however, be used as a source material for creating plutonium-239, which can in turn be used as nuclear fuel. Breeder reactors carry out such a process of transmutation to convert the fertile isotope U-238 into fissile Pu-239. It has been estimated that there is anywhere from 10,000 to five billion years worth of U-238 for use in these power plants. Breeder technology has been used in several experimental nuclear reactors.
I hate that Gates guy.

I hope his kids kick him in the shins when he gets older, or twist his nipples real hard when he's sleeping.
brainstorm
Sep21-10, 01:13 AM
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
I hate that Gates guy.
I hate him for giving so much money away to people who couldn't give a damn about what he's saying. Bill, you're so right about everything but those people just sit and listen to you talk about zero CO2 so they can get your money to go buy more oil, coal, gas, and other high-energy products.

I would love to see him stand there and talk about zero emissions and then say that he's going to take the first step by not letting a penny of his fortune get into anyone's hands who uses any fossil fuel in any way. See if there's any applause after he says that.
Topher925
Sep21-10, 10:45 AM
How can you hate Bill Gates? He created the Windows OS and is the worlds greatest philanthropist. Everything he does these days is to increase the quality of life for man kind.
OmCheeto
Sep21-10, 08:57 PM
PF Gold
How can you hate Bill Gates? He created the Windows OS and is the worlds greatest philanthropist. Everything he does these days is to increase the quality of life for man kind.
But that has nothing to do with fixing the US Energy Crisis does it. I think what I hate more is that a 250cc gas powered car won the automotive x-prize just the other day.

Five million dollars!

Now that, I hate way more than Gates.

Gates is more a jealous kind of hate. I was a ML coder back in his day. Those were the days. I think I wrote over 2000 programs in a 3 year period.

Actually, given a year, and about $100k, I could kick Edison2's derriere too. Maybe I hate them both equally.

sigh.....
mheslep
Sep21-10, 09:12 PM
PF Gold
Gates is referring to a Traveling Wave Reactor. There are several threads e.g:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...3&postcount=24

and

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/files/Te...rGilleland.pdf
OmCheeto
Sep29-10, 07:48 AM
PF Gold
Their Moon Shot and Ours
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
September 25, 2010
The New York Times
The Opinion Pages

Beijing just announced that it was providing $15 billion in seed money for the country’s leading auto and battery companies to create an electric car industry, starting in 20 pilot cities. In essence, China Inc. just named its dream team of 16-state-owned enterprises to move China off oil and into the next industrial growth engine: electric cars.
Europe is using $7-a-gallon gasoline to stimulate the market for electric cars; China is using $5-a-gallon and naming electric cars as one of the industrial pillars for its five-year growth plan. And America? President Obama has directed stimulus money at electric cars, but he is unwilling to do the one thing that would create the sustained consumer pull required to grow an electric car industry here: raise taxes on gasoline.
Bill Clinton mentioned something similar regarding this, which I think I didn't quite relay properly the other day, and had someone laughing:

Quote Quote by Bill Clinton
.....the rest of the stimulus money that's going to be spent now, it's all the clean energy money. And we can dominate that, or be left in the dust,....
China spent twice as much money as we did last year on clean energy technology.
The Daily Show
Topher925
Sep29-10, 09:25 AM
There's a good reason why Obama hasn't raised taxes on gas, and its because people would go absolutely ape @#$% over it. Just look at how much aggression has been created by the Bush tax cuts ending. If Obama was to enforce an increase cost in gasoline the right wing republicans along with that whole "tea party" movement would tear down the white house.

I think its a very good idea though. Increase the cost of gasoline to help fund alternative energy development and maybe do it with providing a tax waiver for the poor. To bad us Americans don't know whats good for us.
Ivan Seeking
Sep29-10, 02:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493
There's a good reason why Obama hasn't raised taxes on gas, and its because people would go absolutely ape @#$% over it. Just look at how much aggression has been created by the Bush tax cuts ending. If Obama was to enforce an increase cost in gasoline the right wing republicans along with that whole "tea party" movement would tear down the white house.

I think its a very good idea though. Increase the cost of gasoline to help fund alternative energy development and maybe do it with providing a tax waiver for the poor. To bad us Americans don't know whats good for us.
Either we do it strategically, in a controlled manner, to foster alternatives and end our reliance on oil, or we wait until the market does it for us, without controls, and live with the consequences of an avoidable disaster.

But you are right, the Republicans and tea partiers will have no part of it.
Topher925
Sep29-10, 03:01 PM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Either we do it strategically, in a controlled manner, to foster alternatives and end our reliance on oil, or we wait until the market does it for us, without controls, and live with the consequences of an avoidable disaster.
My money's on the latter.
mheslep
Sep29-10, 03:25 PM
PF Gold

It might fly with an exact revenue match in income tax reduction, where it could be sold with the pitch - save gas and you are ahead of where you were before the tax. Would have flown already I expect, except for the exceptional impact on large, sparsely populated states where its nothing to drive your F150 50mi to work every day.
Mech_Engineer
Sep29-10, 03:55 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,234
Why can't you just invent a better alternative to compete against gasoline powered transportation, rather than raise taxes to "research alternatives"?

I've got a better idea: give me the option to reroute my social security, medicare, and welfare taxes into alternative energy research. I'll go for that in an instant.
Topher925
Sep29-10, 05:00 PM
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
Why can't you just invent a better alternative to compete against gasoline powered transportation, rather than raise taxes to "research alternatives"?
Why can't we just invent a perpetual motion machine that makes more energy than it consumes. If it were possible to wave a magic wand and instantly create an entirely new eco-friendly infrastructure out of no where that was just as economical as gasoline then there wouldn't be an energy crisis in the first place.

I've got a better idea: give me the option to reroute my social security, medicare, and welfare taxes into alternative energy research. I'll go for that in an instant.
I think we all would. Unfortunately routing money from programs that can't even sustain themselves financially to another one isn't a very wise course of action.

Register to reply