Which road to Special and General Relativity, and beyond?

by madsmh
Tags: books, general relativity, special relativity
madsmh
Oct3-10, 10:18 AM
P: 7
Hello, I am studying mathematics and physics on my own. However, it is the mathematical side of physics that intrest me.

I would like some recommendations on which books would be beneficial for me to read, to gain an understanding of Special and General Relativity, and ultimatly string theory.

I am currently reading Calculus by M. Spivak, and Linear Algebra Done Right, by S. Axler.
If anyone could suggest books to read after I'm done with these, I would be greateful.

.. Mads
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
deluks917
Oct3-10, 02:34 PM
P: 367
Those are very good books. Two books I'd suggest that cover Multi-variable calculus and ODE at the level of Axler and Spivak (read high) are:

Analysis on Manifolds - Munkres
Ordinary Differential Equations - V. Arnold (note I'd get the "new" edition as it covers the standard solution methods as well as the dynamical systems stuff)

Both books are difficult but not harder then Spivak or Axler in my opinion.

I think it might be best to cover a little more math and physics before tackling General Relavity but Special Relativity is a very accessible subject. I's suggest "Spacetime Physics" its a good introduction but I'd say its the easiest book I've recommended.
madsmh
Oct5-10, 04:55 PM
P: 7
Hi Deluks, thank you very much for your suggestions! The books you suggested does indeed seem excellent.

.. Mads

Register to reply