Symbols - Used, Misused, or Misapprpriated?

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, Kenneth Burke believed that humans are symbol-using, symbol making, and symbol misusing animals. Symbols are distinct from signs, which represent concrete things, and are often created by the users themselves. However, symbols can also be misappropriated, such as the rainbow symbol for the GLBT community or colors used by gangs. The speaker suggests reappropriating these symbols and encourages gangs to create their own unique symbols. The speaker also questions why humans are so symbolic in nature, possibly due to an inner brain shared with animals that use symbols for identification and mating rituals.
mugaliens
"Kenneth Burke described Homo sapiens as a "symbol-using, symbol making, and symbol misusing animal." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol#Psychoanalysis_and_archetypes"

Jung long separated symbols from signs, with a sign being a known representation of something, such as a stop sign or a town's name and population upon entry, and a symbol standing for something less concrete, such as a coat of arms, or even mystical, as in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_and_Compasses" used by Freemasons.

From what I understand, most of these types of symbols were created by those who use them, although admittedly out of other symbols. How many lions are represented on various coats of arms?

What about misappropriated symbols? Two come to mind: The rainbow for the GLBT community, and various colors used by gangs. What happens, for example, when sixteen rival gangs are in town, and have (mis)appropriated white, black, red, green, blue, yellow, brown, crimson, purple, torquois, * aqua, sky blue, jonquil, indigo, clear, and chartreuse? What in the world will our children wear to school, then? Gray?

I say it's high time we reappropriate the misappropriated symbols, particularly "gang colors." They don't own the colors! A color in and of itself is not a symbol, and it certainly isn't a sign. If gangs want their own symbols, they're going to have to get a *bit* more creative and design their own, even if it's just a cursive letter "L" like Laverne Dafazio wore on her pink jacket.

No, way - that's too easy, as letters aren't symbols, either. Heck - if gangs want symbols, they're going to have to work at it, and design their own coat of arms, or at least, their own http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Girl_Scouts_of_the_USA.svg" .

The question is, can they do that? If so, why haven't they? I mean, seriously - the Girl Scouts designed their own logo 98 years ago, in 1912. Why can't a gang find someone creative in their midst and have him/her design a logo for the gang?

Realistically, this is already being done in the form of various tats (tatoos). If that's the way they want to go, I say "fine" and would ask them to officially and formally retire the "gang colors" nonsense so that our children can go back to being kids in school instead of being suspended for three days because they wore the "wrong" color shirt to school.

Now that I've brought the subject home to most of us, here's the subject: Why is it that most humans are symbolic in nature? Is it an outward extension of an inner part of our brain shared with the many animals out there who exhibit various patterns of recognition displayed on themselves or in their movements, the patterns of which are used for both identification/association of species as well as mating rituals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gang members can't be artistic, so they must wear bold colors so that they're easier to fire at, because they aren't very accurate marksmen either.

It's pretty surprising that 'bringing the subject home to most of us' involves discussing the dregs of humanity. Am I to assume that the majority of PF'ers live in poor, multicultural neighborhoods now? Or should I go with my initial belief that your introduction to your main question isn't all that relevant to the question itself.

As for your question...

Symbols are a direct mapping between a concept/idea, or set of them, and an experienced thing, i.e. the symbol itself. The swastika is a beautiful representation of the sun, for instance. What else are you really asking for the answer to, other than this?

1. What are the most commonly used symbols in our society?

The most commonly used symbols in our society include the national flag, religious symbols such as the cross or crescent moon, and logos of popular brands or organizations.

2. How are symbols misused in our society?

Symbols can be misused in various ways, such as being used for hate speech or discrimination, being used out of context, or being used to promote false or harmful ideologies.

3. What are some examples of misappropriated symbols?

Examples of misappropriated symbols include the swastika, which was originally a symbol of good luck but was later adopted by the Nazi party, and the peace sign, which was originally a symbol for nuclear disarmament but has been used to represent various political and social movements.

4. How does the misappropriation of symbols impact society?

The misappropriation of symbols can have negative impacts on society, such as perpetuating harmful stereotypes, promoting hate and discrimination, and causing confusion or misunderstanding among different groups of people.

5. How can we prevent the misuse and misappropriation of symbols?

Preventing the misuse and misappropriation of symbols requires education and awareness. It is important to understand the origins and meanings of symbols, and to use them respectfully and accurately. It is also important to speak out against the misuse of symbols and to promote inclusivity and understanding in our society.