Visible Light Communication

by rxwontfit
Tags: communication, ftdi, led, light, serial
rxwontfit
Oct31-10, 05:33 PM
P: 13
A colleague and I are in our 4th year of Electrical Engineering and are designing a Visible Light Communication device capable of sending text, pictures, videos, etc over a binary light channel. We are currently using an FTDI chip to interface between the USB and receiver/transmitter. According the FTDI specs, the device is capable of Rx and Tx rates up to 3 MegaBaud. Assuming we have LEDs and Photodiodes (transmitters and receivers) capable of this frequency response - Does anybody have any recommendations from a Software perspective of what we could use to push data out the usb port? All coding examples I have come across in C++, PHP, and Mathematica cap at ~115,000 Baud. Any help, or serial class references are appreciated.

Thanks for your time and have a great day.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
NobodySpecial
Oct31-10, 05:38 PM
P: 474
The FTDI chip comes with a driver to make it look like a serial port - if it doesn't google for "virtual com port"
A serial port is pretty easy to talk to in any language
rxwontfit
Oct31-10, 05:56 PM
indeed it does mask the usb as a serial port - but from a software side, communicating with the serial port requires that I fit within serial port restraints (within 115,000 baud?)... how can I transfer data at 3Mbaud if the software won't support it?

rxwontfit
Oct31-10, 05:58 PM

Visible Light Communication

it comes down to this: how do I send a 3Mbaud bitstream out of the USB port? I have the drivers installed for the FTDI chip, I'm looking for a language where I can actually specify that 3Mbaud is the baudrate...but from what I've seen I cannot find any.
MATLABdude
Nov1-10, 12:53 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
It's not, but there's a say of hacking the driver so that you can get this transfer rate--some students I TA'd did this a few years back to facilitate higher speed transfers. You probably need to contact FTDI for more details.

Register to reply