Register to reply

Inexpensive alpha emitter?

by Strat-O
Tags: alpha, emitter, inexpensive
Share this thread:
Strat-O
Nov17-10, 08:27 PM
P: 32
I would like to pursue an idea that involves transmutation of elements using an alpha emitter. I figure that the production rate I would like to achieve would require about 5 Ci of radioactivity. What would be a good candidate, i.e. least expensive and reliable supply with a half life of > 60 days and an energy of at least 1.5 MeV? I've looked at Po-210 but according to wiki, the annual global production is about 100 grams per year and although I haven't worked it out the price per curie is probably prohibitively expensive.

Essentially looking for the biggest alpha-bang per buck!

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Dr Lots-o'watts
Nov17-10, 09:21 PM
P: 674
How about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americium#Applications
Strat-O
Nov18-10, 08:24 AM
Thanks. After posting I thought about Americium because it's common in smoke detectors. It is a bit expensive at $160 per milligram but I think I can produce small amounts of product and scale it up.

1 gram of Americium would generate 3.5 Ci. I'm guessing that amount would cost far less than $160,000. The cool thing is with a 400+ year half life for Am-241, it would not need to be replenished often.

Strat-O

Strat-O
Nov18-10, 09:28 AM
Inexpensive alpha emitter?

Price is outstanding. Looks like you can get a gram of Am-241 oxide for $1,600.
Astronuc
Nov20-10, 06:08 AM
Admin
P: 21,827
Quote Quote by Strat-O View Post
Thanks. After posting I thought about Americium because it's common in smoke detectors. It is a bit expensive at $160 per milligram but I think I can produce small amounts of product and scale it up.

1 gram of Americium would generate 3.5 Ci. I'm guessing that amount would cost far less than $160,000. The cool thing is with a 400+ year half life for Am-241, it would not need to be replenished often.

Strat-O
Read this - http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-co...s/cfr/part030/
LogicalAcid
Nov21-10, 04:58 PM
P: 137
I do believe there are a certain set of guidelines you should follow before you attempt this.
Strat-O
Nov21-10, 06:37 PM
That makes sense.

Register to reply