Inexpensive alpha emitter?

by Strat-O
Tags: alpha, emitter, inexpensive
Strat-O
Nov17-10, 08:27 PM
P: 32
I would like to pursue an idea that involves transmutation of elements using an alpha emitter. I figure that the production rate I would like to achieve would require about 5 Ci of radioactivity. What would be a good candidate, i.e. least expensive and reliable supply with a half life of > 60 days and an energy of at least 1.5 MeV? I've looked at Po-210 but according to wiki, the annual global production is about 100 grams per year and although I haven't worked it out the price per curie is probably prohibitively expensive.

Essentially looking for the biggest alpha-bang per buck!

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Dr Lots-o'watts
Nov17-10, 09:21 PM
P: 675
How about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americium#Applications
Strat-O
Nov18-10, 08:24 AM
Thanks. After posting I thought about Americium because it's common in smoke detectors. It is a bit expensive at $160 per milligram but I think I can produce small amounts of product and scale it up.

1 gram of Americium would generate 3.5 Ci. I'm guessing that amount would cost far less than $160,000. The cool thing is with a 400+ year half life for Am-241, it would not need to be replenished often.

Strat-O

Strat-O
Nov18-10, 09:28 AM

Inexpensive alpha emitter?

Price is outstanding. Looks like you can get a gram of Am-241 oxide for $1,600.
Astronuc
Nov20-10, 06:08 AM
Admin
P: 21,630
Quote Quote by Strat-O View Post
Thanks. After posting I thought about Americium because it's common in smoke detectors. It is a bit expensive at $160 per milligram but I think I can produce small amounts of product and scale it up.

1 gram of Americium would generate 3.5 Ci. I'm guessing that amount would cost far less than $160,000. The cool thing is with a 400+ year half life for Am-241, it would not need to be replenished often.

Strat-O
Read this - http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-co...s/cfr/part030/
LogicalAcid
Nov21-10, 04:58 PM
P: 137
I do believe there are a certain set of guidelines you should follow before you attempt this.
Strat-O
Nov21-10, 06:37 PM
That makes sense.

Register to reply